Forum home Plants

Arum Lily

2»

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Hostafan1 said:
    All my babies have gone this winter. Serves me right for not getting them planted last year. Both parent plants are fine.
    Babies in pots?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,736
    I too am in " Heavenly Devon" but they didn't like " the best from the east"
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,669
    Yes Arum lillies, hardy here, very damp, soggy clay soil, managed to find a pink one in Helligan, very pretty and a change from the usual white.  Think folks are getting mixed up with the multi coloured jobbies you find in pots in supermarkets, which arent hardy.
    Hostafan1 said:
    I too am in " Heavenly Devon" but they didn't like " the best from the east"
    Quite, I've never seen so many shrubs with browned leaves. Quite worried about some of them, especially the magnolia and the tree peony. I hope they have reserve buds, but I did wonder (fret) if the mini-Beast got some of them :( Is there any more to come?????
    Yes Arum lillies, hardy here, very damp, soggy clay soil, managed to find a pink one in Helligan, very pretty and a change from the usual white.  Think folks are getting mixed up with the multi coloured jobbies you find in pots in supermarkets, which arent hardy.
    Zantedeschia aethiopica and Z. pentlandii are supposed to be the hardy ones, but of course the trick is making sure you're buying what you think you're buying!
  • lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511
    Hi I'm also in heavenly Devon and have a large clump of the white Zantedeschia. They survived the minus 12 temperature of a few years back and have survived the recent heavy snow. They do go soggy and collapse but l just chop them to the ground and within a fortnight new shoots start to appear. Mine are in my wettest part of my garden which is currently very wet indeed and being Devon quite heavy clay. My Gran had a huge clump in her cottage garden in a very damp boggy part of Dartmoor so they are pretty tough plants. My flower stems last year were nearly 4ft high. Tis a lovely plant .
    @lilysilly Excellent news - we shall invest in some and see how they fare. Thanks to all for comments.