Arum Lily

DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 558
We've got a boggy patch by a stream that we need to fill. It's full of buttercups at the moment but I'd like more than them in there, nice though they are. We tried with a big Rodgersia last year but that croaked within a week or so of planting it (whipped it out, stuck it in a pot, am waiting to see if anyhting survived) so now my thoughts have turned to arum lilies.

They're supposed to be good in a wet soil, but I'm not sure how hardy they'll be. Has anybody any experience of them?

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 558
    Well, hit some key combination that posted my new discussion before I'd finished typing it! And it won't let me edit it???? Is that normal?

What I was about to add is that we live in Devon, so warm (supposedly!) and wet.
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 114
    I don't have any but a gardening friend does and she mentioned that her arum lilies are all a soggy, slimey  mess after the awful weather, I thought that I'd read that they are not fully hardy so wasn't really surprised.  
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238
    I think I seem to remember that they aren't fully hardy in a bog garden but are more so in water.
    Mine on the pond margins were planted as pips last year and so far...nothing!!!! Shoulda thrown 'em in!!!  :D
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,912
    They're the bane of my gardening life in Essex.
    Every year hundreds of arum italicum shoot up all over the borders and from November to May I hoe them off continually but the following year there seem to be more. It's about 8 yrs since they first appeared - NOTHING seems to kill them

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    All my babies have gone this winter. Serves me right for not getting them planted last year. Both parent plants are fine.
    Devon.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 13,869
    Pete 8.  Aricum Italicum is a different plant from Arum lily....Zantedeschia.

SW Scotland
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,782
    Joyce21 said:
    Pete 8.  Aricum Italicum is a different plant from Arum lily....Zantedeschia.

ah the joys of using "proper" names rather than "common" names eh?

Devon.
    Yes, I was talking about Zantedeschia. I was trying to put that in the discussion title when I hit whatever set of keys I hit and the damn thing posted itself! And I've only just worked out how to edit a post (pressing Edit ain't enough!).

I too have Arum italicum, brought some with me from the previous garden. I like it. Never ran for me in a heavy alkaline clay. I'm going to plant it in my now acid soil and see what's what.
    I think I seem to remember that they aren't fully hardy in a bog garden but are more so in water.
    Mine on the pond margins were planted as pips last year and so far...nothing!!!! Shoulda thrown 'em in!!!  :D
    I'm going to try on the very boggy edge of a stream. I'll let you know how we get on. Once I've found somewhere to buy them from.

Suesyn said:
    I don't have any but a gardening friend does and she mentioned that her arum lilies are all a soggy, slimey  mess after the awful weather, I thought that I'd read that they are not fully hardy so wasn't really surprised.  
    Is she in a cold part of the country? We've moved to Heavenly Devon and I'm hoping to be able to grow slightly more tender things than before.