Shrub ID please

DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
We've just moved to a new garden (I believe there's a house attached too :smile: ). Lots of new shrubs and trees that I don't know the names of, so I'll be posting a few pics on here for identification. Starting with this one ...

A shrub, about eight or so feet (2.5m) tall. Just coming into leaf and pink flower. Sorry it's not a very good shot, but it's the best of four - it's windy and the thing wouldn't keep still!

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,387
    edited March 2018
    Google or otherwise take a look at "Ribes Sanguineum" - that might be your plant :)
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,478
    Ribes was my thought too  :)
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    @Topbird @AnniD Thanks! Let me check out leaf and flower against the Interweb ...
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Yip. Ribes. Smells like cat pee.  :/
    edited March 2018
    Checked out leaf (palmate) and flower (tubular), so does indeed look like Ribes sanguineum (Winter Currant). So thanks to all for ID. More to follow when things come into leaf/flower!
    Yip. Ribes. Smells like cat pee.  :/
    Funnily enough I offered a sprig to OH, who said, with no prior knowledge of what it might be, that it smelt a bit "curranty" to her. Me, I can't smell a thing.
    The one I think does smell like cat-pee is Elderberry (Sambucus nigra).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,668
    People think I'm a bit odd ... I like the smell of Ribes  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710
    it's the smell of viburnum tinus I can't stand
    Devon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Hostafan1 said:
    it's the smell of viburnum tinus I can't stand
    Agree HF, that's the one that honks after rain isn't it, as a form of defence?