Forum home The potting shed

Starting again

Have been out of circulation  for a while  (The big "C"), which didn't  stop me from tiling the soil & getting good results, again ,new potatoes for Christmas lunch and also again for tommow Easter Sunday lunch ,This winter spent in Maderia  untill March 5th , March 6th  planted early  potatoes (under plastic), have just watered & earthed up, looking good,.Ive had one failed  crop, broad beans,sowed the seed beginning  last November,in sheltered position ,looking good when left for Maderia , on my return , not much left ,most cut down by the cold weather ,have left the roots in maybe will shoot out again,started more in the greenhouse,will be transferring to garden next week,.The harvesting of such will be a little later this year

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Yes, everything has suffered with the cold weather. I hope your health is better than it was. Hopefully we will have warmer sunnier days ahead.
    SW Scotland
  • I hope you are now on the mend CJWP. As Purplerain says,everything has suffered this winter,never known anything like it.
    I've planted Moonlight runners in pots,and kept them in the porch,still covering the Pelargoniums that are also in there with fleece at night!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,156
    Good that you could get away somewhere warmer and brighter for winter and I hope you are fully on the mend now.  Remember that plants lost are a planting opportunity and we can always sow again when it comes to crops.

I hope your garden helps with the healing.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,803
    I hope you are getting over the big C and wish you well for the future. I know what you have gone through,  I have got to have a full body scan on Tuesday to find out if my treatment has worked. 
  • C J W PC J W P Posts: 63
    Hello  fellow  gardeners ,Having just had my lunch,ox tail ,new potatoes etc I decided to check my emails as one does on which I found some response to my post of yesterday,and I am extremely  grateful for all of your kind wishes for my recoverey and good health,I have to say  I had a tremendous  amount of encouragement  from my son  who has had first hand experience  of his wife Sally who had come through throut cancer ,was successfuly  treated by the Spanish health  system , kept telling me to think positive ,of which I did by the way of booking a winters holiday January 2019 ,and was also encouraged by my surgeon ,who assured me I was good for another 20 years,.As for my treatment at Addenbrokes  Hospital Cambridge ,it was first class ,I would not have had better treatment anywhere else in the world My greatful thanks to all of the medical staff who have given me the chance to enjoy I hope maney  more years to carry on gardening,.I shall be thinking of you Pauline 7 on  Tuesday, I wish you all the very best,for a good result,I know how you must feeling ,i have  had the same scan, thankfuly mine was a success ""Think Positive " 
    Thank you K J W P.  I have the scan on Tues but won't get the results until I see my oncologist on the 9th of April. 

I usually keep the rezzers informed on the resurrected thread,  I will post my news on there if you are interested. 
    Thank you Pauline7 Please post your results ,I think it's  good to talk about oñes experience  ,in my opinion it helps to remove the fears ,because the treaments now are so far advanced as to what was available only a few years ago,it seems now it doesn't  matter  who you speak too everybody knows someone who has been inflicted  also themselves,My daughter in law Sally while being treated looked so ill, but after the course  of therapy  she slowly started to recover and wasn't  long before Sally was back to her normal self , to see her now you would never have guessed  she had had  this illness ,Sally and also myself have put on weight ,my self 15 lbs in 2 months  whilst  on holiday,but now being able to start gardening even only in the greenhouse  have seen a couple  of pounds  disappear,  So now  Pauline 7 chin up ,keep smiling  and think positive I'll  be routing for you
    They found secondary head and neck cancer via a lump in my neck.  They did various tests and never found a primary. What I didn't know, and wouldn't have believed if I hadn't been told by told by my oncologist,  was that you can have a cancer and your body can deal with it.  It is very rare but is what has , probably,  happened in my case. 
    I always have been the awkward one.
    @C J W P  Ihave just had the results of my scan and it is all clear.  I have got to have checks every 4-6 weeks for the next 12 months. 
    edited April 2018
      CJWP well done Pauline7  Good news