Am I Being Impatient?

Approximately 5 weeks ago I bought the Thompson Morgan offer for 2 dwarf Magnolias. Am I being a little impatient waiting for just a slight show of a bud?  The twigs are exactly the same as when they arrived .... After watching Monty last night lightly scratching the bark to see if his Bays were still alive should I do this on these 2?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262
    I’d just leave it, it will all be going beneath the surface, building up a good root system, it may not flower for years. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Lyn its not the flowering I am concerned about its the fact their is no sign of life at all?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,690
    scratch it with your thumb nail. I feel MD's knife scraping was a little excessive.
    Other are free to disagree.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,459
    edited March 2018
    Yes, I'd go with Hosta's thumb nail suggestion. If l tried going with Monty's knife suggestion I'd probably end up cutting through the whole thing ! :blush:
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,259
    Thumb nail does it for me.
    AB Still learning

AnniD said:
    Yes, I'd go with Hosta's thumb nail suggestion. If l tried going with Monty's knife suggestion I'd probably end up cutting through the whole thing ! :blush:
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I've never known anyone damage a plant with a thumbnail.  ;)
    Devon.
  • :)  Perfect just used my nail and there is green under the bark .... Yes there is life!!!

Many thanks

:) 
    Devon.
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    Love that hedgehog. :)
  • :) Thanks it was a birthday present I have couple more metal hogs around the garden and hopefully my little ones will return again this year...