Great excitement - compost

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,446
I am thrilled and excited to be able to use my own home made compost I have about 3 Barrows full to use......life is good 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718
    wonderful stuff
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269
    A barrow full of compost is the ideal dream, I’d rather have that for a present than anything else.  And if I can get a bag of horse poo to chuck in with it, I’m in heaven😇😍
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718
    Lyn, the new folk who have moved round the corner bring me horse poo every couple of days.
    :D
    Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,446
    Thanks ......advice needed now.  Do I mix chicken pellets into it?  How do I use it. .....never mulched plants before. .....learning lots from here
  • WaysideWayside Posts: 729
    From what I understand, mulching is just a top layer, that helps with water retention and optionally soil improvement (you can mulch with stones).

I've started to mulch. I'm on chalk and organic matter in soil just appears to evaporate.  So I have to just keep adding.  And it never seems to be too much.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,388
    I usually lightly fork the soil, then scatter a little blood, fish & bone and / or some chicken pellets then mulch to a depth of around 4".

Monty D reckons it's better to do a small patch well and mulch quite deeply rather than trying to spread compost thinly around the whole garden. That's what I tend to do as well. Unless I buy some in, I don't usually have sufficient compost to mulch the whole garden every year. I, therefore, concentrate my efforts on areas where the soil is particularly poor and hungry plants and then choose different beds each year to top up with the rest.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,388
    PS - Congratulations on some great looking compost. I LOVE making (and using) my own compost - black gold :D
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Mary370 said:
    I am thrilled and excited to be able to use my own home made compost I have about 3 Barrows full to use......life is good 

That's very good compost - what did you make it in? And how long did it take?