Forum home Plants

New tree

lavender4lavender4 Posts: 22
Has anyone any suggestions as to what tree I could get for a small town garden please? It needs to be no higher than 3-4 metres high by 1-2 metres wide ultimately. I want something pretty, I was thinking of maybe some sort of rowan? But what sort? And what else could I have? Thanks.

• pbffpbff Posts: 433
    Hi @lavender4,

You could have a look at one of the small Japanese Acers.
    Acer palmatum 'Nigrum' is quite nice, with dark purple leaves throughout the spring and summer, turning flame-coloured in autumn.

I have an Amelanchier lamarckii, which I have grow as a small tree on my patio - I love it, it has lovely pink new buds in spring, followed by starry white flowers which coincide with the cherry blossom, then reddish-purple, sweet fruits and finally coppery-red foliage in autumn.

I think you may find most of the rowans to be a bit too big for a small garden.

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,379
    edited March 2018
    The measurements for your trees sounds extremely small and quite narrow. Have you thought about slim versions in that case?

There is a Sorbus Aucuparia 'Fastigiata' available, the growth will be upright and pencil thin if this is something you like.

I think Prunus Shogetsu are great small garden trees. Showy late spring flowers, and in the right conditions, there's the bonus of coppery orange leaves in autumn too.

My personal favourite, Pyrus Salicifolia 'Pendula'. A great weeping tree of silvery tones and small ornamental fruits when tree matures, the tree glows on dull days and gives a garden that old gnarled feel. This tree can get big, but can easily be shaped and pruned at 10-15 years old.