Forum home Problem solving

Parsnips seeds just won't germinate

Last year I planted two lots of parsnip seeds ( bought from a reputable source) a month apart. Neither germinated.  This year I have started with the toilet roll planters inside my greenhouse.  I've talked to them; played Mozart to them but no joy.  Everything else is doing just fine.  Have you any ideas as I really would like parsnips next winter.  Thanks in advance for the advice.....and happy Easter.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

Try this: get a glass or plastic tub with a lid that fits well. Put some kitchen towel in the bottom and make it very moist with tap water. Sprinkle some seeds in - make sure they make contact with the towel - and put on the lid. Leave it on a bright window sill. With a bit of luck they will germinate in days, then VERY carefully, into the pots or the drill they go.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,348
    Good advice from Scroggin. Only use new seed and sow after mid April when the ground warms up. If it ever does this year!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133
    I sow my parsnip seeds on the 1st June, the soil is well warm by then, they all germinate and every one grows big, harvest when all when the leaves have rotted and disappeared. That will be start of winter. They are best dug after a frost. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mary221Mary221 Posts: 4
    Thanks so much for the advice. I shall try everything you have suggested. Happy gardening. Mary
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133
    I buy these ones every year. Being pelleted you can space them apart without having to disturb later by thinning. 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008CO2P7W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.