Advice on Potting on Echinaceas and Heleniums

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,234
I have just had a delivery of 9cm pots of echinaceas and 12cm heleniums. The Heleniums are more advanced and have a good root system but the echinaceas less so. Would it be better to let the echinaceas grow on a bit in the existing pots before potting on?

Also, how much should I be watering both? I understand Heleniums like their soil to be moist but I don’t want to drown them!

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,234
    Have bit the bullet and potted on the echinaceas so hope they will be ok, but any advice, anyone on watering the potted on heleniums? I am a bit nervous about them having not grown before, especially as they are a risk in my climate anyway and I am probably daft to try!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,619
    Hi Nollie, am bumping up this thread in the hope that someone may help. As you are in Spain, it's a bit difficult for me to advise, but what l would do is keep the compost just moist until you can get them in the ground. As they're in pots it might be too easy to overwater, so wait until they are drying out (stick your finger in the compost !) before watering again. Hope this is of some help :) 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,234
    Hi AnniD, thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I am sure you are right and I need to be careful not to overwater them. What you describe is what I am doing with my more drought-tolerant plants but wondered if Heleniums needed more water/TLC. I guess I will find out!