How should I / would you prune these 2 trees?

Treegrower85Treegrower85 Posts: 19
edited March 2018 in Plants

Top tree is Prunus shogetsu & bottom tree is a prunus Shirofugen.

Thanks in advance!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218
    If they were mine, I’d leave them alone.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,090
    so would I
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715
    edited March 2018
    pansyface said:
    If they were mine, I’d leave them alone.
    Absolutely agree ... nothing that needs pruning there ... they're not fruit trees ... let them grow naturally otherwise they'll look totally wrong.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SlumSlum Posts: 268
    I wouldn't prune them but I would take the ties off. If they need staking, tie them in about 30cm from the bottom.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715
    edited March 2018
    Slum said:
    I wouldn't prune them but I would take the ties off. If they need staking, tie them in about 30cm from the bottom.
    I agree Slum ... having zoomed in I can see that those ties are totally the wrong sort to use on trees, and so are the stakes.

Have a look here https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-plant-a-bare-root-tree/ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,718
    Slum said:
    Ditto. Cable ties have to be about the worst form of "tree tie"imaginable.
    Devon.
  • Hi All

The cable ties have gone & i will be re-staking with appropriate method this weekend. 

As for the pruning, i totally get leaving them alone but the only one that worries me is the 2nd pic (Shirofugen) if you look at the lateral growth, its extremely low, is this going to be a problem or shall i just crown raise/rid of lateral growth later on in the trees life?

Thanks again