Forum home Plants

Can sweet peas be re-potted before planting?

Jac1967Jac1967 Posts: 6
Hello there

Have overwintered several sweet pea varieties, and they've done well. Strong, bushy plants with lots of side shoots.

There are a couple of plants however, grown from seed of last year's plants, where the leaves at the top of the plant are yellowing, and am not sure why. Would it help to re-pot these, as am thinking it's still to cold to plant these outside?

• Bright starBright star Posts: 1,153
    I would re-pot into bigger pots and give them a feed at the same time, they are plants that need feeding regularly and water.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Jac1967Jac1967 Posts: 6
    Thanks Bright star.

What would you feed them with? 
    I use a diluted seaweed extract, tomato food is also good. 

• Yes, I use tomato food for mine, once a week is grand. When I'm sowing them I often add some slow release plant food, they love it and if I've done them in autumn and am late planting them out then at least they're being fed. I also put them outside in a sheltered spot once they've germinated. I know others pop them into a cold frame.
  • Jac1967Jac1967 Posts: 6
    Thanks to you both, that's really helpful.
    They've been re-potted & had tomato food. They've been living in a cold frame, but am now popping them outside (rain and wind permitting) during the day. 
    I really love sweet peas, and some of these plants are particularly precious; one of my beautiful cats died last year, and he particularly loved one sweet pea these seeds came from. He lay by it all summer & whenever he was outside, knew where he'd be. I'm hoping the 6 plants from that come from this original do really well, and that I can perhaps keep them going year on year. He'd approve I'm sure  :) 
    I hope you have an especially beautiful display Jac1967🌸🌸