Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Controlling slugs and snails with copper

Hi we have a house Olive Grove Farm in Italy with 3 walnut trees. Although they start out ok towards the end of the summer (if they are still on the trees, the nusts are all black. Someone told me I can spray with Copper Sulphate solution is this correcct or can you suggest something better.

• Hi Adam - I use copper tape around the top of my raised beds and it seems to work - I also use a beer trap as a back up just in case - inevitably the grass grows up the side of the beds or a stem overhangs and the odd slug or two gets in - or perhaps they have other ways of breaching the defence ! but touch would the veg hasn't been devaststed by slugs in the past two years. The tape needs renewing - must get round to that.
  • COULD ANYONE TELL ME,WHERE COULD I GET A PRE MADE PLASTIC ROUND POND WIDTH ONLY 20IN,DEPTH 20IN.I HAVE LOOKED ON THE NET..I CAN FIND A POND BUT BIGGER THAN 20IN..WHICH I DONT WANT[SPACE IS A PROBLEM],I WISH TO PUT ANOTHER SMALL POND IN MY GARDEN.....
  • Hi
    I need advice on a raised bed im makein.I want to grow some climbers onto
    my garage wall, the raised bed will sit on conceret i'm wondering will this work
    for me at all or will it become waterlogged.
    please advise.
    KK.
  • keelykins - it should work as i did just that many years ago and now have a grape-vine, honeysuckle and an understory of campanulas in my raised bed on concrete. The edging is limestone rock and the soil is over a foot deep. I think the vine, which gives me loads of luscious sweet grapes each year, has probably broken up the concrete now.
  • Hi Adam
    Well the jury is still out on copper rings and tape (since when it gets tarnished it is no longer viable, and it's expensive).
    However ... do you have WD40 in your shed? I did a trial this year on 6 pots of hostas and only one got attacked by the wealth of snails that live here. You have to spray once a month but it has proved to be far more successful than that 'garlic liquid' potion I tried as well - all plants well eaten so clearly my snails like a bit of garlic!
    The makers of WD40 also mention its slug deterrent odour.
  • I have problems with snails, but have found the perfect answer they go on an away day into a nearby field via my catapult. dont know what effect it has on them but they are getting fewer and fewer.
  • Hello Sarahs Pond Life,

I think the cheapest and probably best solution to your pond requirement is either a plastic storage crate , available in DIY stores for c. £5, or a heavy duty crate used by house movers, usually blue and much stronger than the storage crate, cost about £10.

It is in the ground so cannot be seen, is not expensive, and will tide you over for two or three years.

Best
  • o thank-you,but where do i get that crate,i dont know anyone who is moving....
  • SLUGS & SNAILS are a big problem to us gardeners, there are lots of ways to kill them,or at least minimize them,
    Try sawdust or wet vermiculite around the base of your plants and petroleum jelly round the base and top of your containers...its stick or slip for mr slug.
  • I surround all the plants I can with copper tape and if I run out of tape I use cut up beer cans. The copper tape acts as a deterrent but they can cross it it they really want to - sharp edges and all. I've caught them crawling over fresh sharp tape to get to tulips, and they will gladly find leaf bridges to cross the copper. That said - it does help as they usually are lazy and will go for an unprotected plant instead. I've started using cut up 1L clear plastic bottles as cloches which keeps the slugs off.