Forum home Plants

Name that bush!

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
Hi,

just trying to to decide what to do with these bushes, cut them back or move them but I don’t know what they are.  They are very colourful red in October:

But now in spring the neighbours variagated bush pushes through while they look pretty bare:

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    edited March 2018
    berberis thunbergii atropurpurea?
    Middle one might be spiraea gold flame, or similar
    Devon.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,262
    Agree with Hosta - as I have both of those. The Spiraea is supposed to prefer a prune after flowering, but I tend to leave the flower heads on over Winter and trim about now. The Berberis is not everyone's cup of tea - quite spikey! I love the rich plum colour of the leaves and it can contrast well with some greener shrubs. These should also be pruned after flowering (Summer) I think.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Okay, so the one that’s a bit yellow now, Spiraea, should be trimmed - how far back? A third, as desired, to the roots?

can either be lifted?

im thinking of putting in a bin store where they are.

If I don’t move them, can I leave the variables plant sticking through as it bring colour now, or will the rubbiing branches get sick?

Cheers!
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,262
    I just trim my Spiraea to keep a neat shape but I have read that you can prune hard as it will flower on new growth. 

https://gardenerdy.com/goldflame-spirea-plant-profile-care-tips

I do not have knowledge of moving them sorry. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    Thank you all.

I understand that I can lift both, the Berberis will be difficult and may be sensitive, the Spiraea I should be able to divide now as well as lift.

I think I’ll cut back the bereberis first (a third is recommended) to minimise the stabbing :)
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,877
    in my experience, both can be cut back as hard as you like and they'll still bounce back.
    Devon.
    Hi all,

Bringing this thread back because I did some proper pruning as per above, but I never got around to dividing the spiraea...is it too late?