Forum home Plants

What am I? I'm aquatic that's all I know

gagsmediagagsmedia Posts: 54

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,573
    possibly an astilbe. Pot it up and wait until a few leaves unfurl properly.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,855
    I don't know, but not astilbe, they have fine yellow roots, not fat white fleshy ones 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857
    It looks a bit like the deadly Water Dropwort, so for for goodness sale don't eat it!  

Scroll down and have a look at the photo of Water Hemlock - Water dropwort

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/spring-foraging-18311/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• gagsmediagagsmedia Posts: 54
    It's  got purple leaves...
    That might be simply because they're young shoots ... if you look on the photo I linked to you'll see some reddish colouration.  

It might not be Water Hemlock ... we can't attempt a firm ID until it's more developed ... what I'm saying is that, at this stage of its development there is a similarity to Water Hemlock, so please be careful. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415
    it also resemble Valeriana officinalis which is not aquatic but does like damp

In the sticks near Peterborough
    I got loads of aquatic plants from the Garden centre last October for 50p I stored them over the winter and was sorting through them when I came across it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,415
    I think that rules out Water Dropwort, not likely to be selling that at the GC. I shall stick with the Valeriana officinalis

In the sticks near Peterborough
    edited March 2018
    I've split it and planted it so hopefully it will grow and I'll post a pic for a better ID :)
    nutcutlet said:
    I think that rules out Water Dropwort, not likely to be selling that at the GC. I shall stick with the Valeriana officinalis
    Ah, now we know it's a purchase and not something found, I'll go with the Valeriana  :)