Forum home Problem solving

Pruning star jasmine climbers

having a wee look in the garden today and hopefully start weeding next week 
I planted two star jasmine climbers but didn’t cut back at end of season last year but looking today the just old twigs 
have I killed it 🙈🙈or can be cut back and grow again 

• amberspyamberspy Posts: 379
    Anyone 🙈🙈
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Are we talking the evergreen jasminoides trachelospermum? or jasminum officinale (sheds leaves each autumn)
    Jasmine officinale 
    its still on the trellis but still like twigs of wood
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Yes mine is the same - not to worry, it should start shooting in the next few weeks. Everything is later this year because of the freezing temperatures and the further North also delays plants. If you prune now it will remove possible flowers for this year. 
    Mark56 said:
    Yes mine is the same - not to worry, it should start shooting in the next few weeks. Everything is later this year because of the freezing temperatures and the further North also delays plants. If you prune now it will remove possible flowers for this year. 
    Oh thank you I thought I killed it lol
    so I just leave it the way it is yeah 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    If it's J. officinale, then it's not "star jasmine" as you wrongly put it in your title. And I agree with Mark, no need to worry, just wait patiently.  ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    I believe there are two varieties of trachelospermum, can anybody tell me what the difference is? One of mine is romping away, but the other which has had red leaves all winter isn't so vigourous.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    Thanks Papi Jo, Impressive website you've got there.  I dug out my old RHS book and as far as I can tell, the main differences seem to be that T. jasminoides has leaves 6" long and grows to 28ft and likes full sun but the other has much smaller leaves, grows to 20 ft and prefers partial shade - which means that both mine are in the wrong place! Oh well, at least they are both still alive.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    @Lizzie27 just as well that the plants can't read! :p