Forum home The potting shed

Beechgrove Garden - 19th April

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,729
    There’s a whiff of gardening elitism here (not a phrase I thought is ever use).  As someone new to enjoying gardening it’s obvious Beachgroce is aimed at older, dedicated gardeners.  It’s kind of interesting to me, but mostly boring and frankly the reminder of how awful they all looked in the eighties in the last episode had me seriously questioning whether I should be gardening at all...matching jumpers and bottle bottom glasses!  :D

Just like every hobby, people like different things. There’s no profit in excluding / criticising other gardeners because they don’t do things the way you would prefer. It diminishes everyone.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    There is no gardening elitism Tinpot. I have watched Beechgrove since it started and learned a lot from it.
    It's horses for courses when it comes to a liking for various presenters
    SW Scotland
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    edited April 2018
    I think the BG is aimed more at the 'domestic' gardener with a finite budget (and obviously those who garden in Scotland). It isn't flashy but contains good well-proven advice. I like it that their projects could be done by almost anyone and are well within reach of Joe McPublic. 
    It's really great that those of you down south enjoy the programmes as well and that they are reaching a wider audience. I think that is partly why the employed Chris Beardshaw to give it a more 'cosmopolitan' feel. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,620
    Tin Pot - no elitism.  Beechgrove is presented by experienced and qualified horticulturalists and gardeners so, while the planting style is sometimes old-fashioned and not to everyone's taste, the information and advice is accurate, timely and reliable and applicable far beyond the Aberdeen area and it's brilliant for edibles.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,901
    The old fellow with the allotment on episode 2 of BG was very impressive.  He has more energy than I have, at half his age!  
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    A small example of Beechgrove having useful tips was the one about using water from a watering can that had been sitting for a while so that it's not freezing cold. Better for young plants/seeds etc. I've done that for years, but that's a great little tip for anyone, experienced or novice, which took seconds to impart.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I am not its biggest fan as some know, but I liked it this week. I agree the tips are good, and I loved the allotment man who knew everything and was so organised.

It was much better than GW and vertical gardening in Milan. That got the yawn of the week from me although it was probably quite gripping for some.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,620
    I think if you yearn to have greenery and live in a standard British tower block that Milan stuff was a revelation.  Beats me how the British manage so consistently to build dreadful, unimaginative tower blocks and then wonder at social breakdown and poor mental health.   Same with motorway bridges and service areas.  Do these people never travel to see best practice or get inspired by what others are doing instead of repeating the same mistakes?

I too have tubs of water warming up in the PolyT ready for soaking seedling trays.  Geoff H tip from years ago, like sowing peas in guttering to get a head start and beat the meeces.    An hour of GW is good but Beechgrove still manages to pack in more helpful tips for things that most gardeners are doing.   Can't see many people planting up a trough of thymes to be pretty.   Mine are for flavour and happen to be pretty too - lemon, orange that I bought and plain that we inherited.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The start of Beechgrove this morning:

Jim: "I'm not sure what those Narcissi are."
    Carole: "I think they're Narcissus Pencrebar"
    Jim: "I'll take your word for it."
    Carole: "I've got the crib-sheet".

That's why I like Beechgrove.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,901
    Haha.. I read that in their voices.. 
    Utah, USA.