Forum home The potting shed

Beechgrove Garden - 19th April

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,832
    No one is concerned about facts any more.  In this era of Facebook and Donald Trump, truth has been left by the wayside. Opinions, half truths, and want-it-to-be truths are all we have now.  Garden opinions become gospel.    ;)
    Utah, USA.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,514
    Indeed so.
    Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,559
    edited April 2018
    I was glad to catch Beechgrove this weekend, yet again I learned something new (to me). This time, it was the trick of breaking a new branch extension to encourage fruit bud break further back down the branch. I enjoy the whole programme even though a lot of it is not relevant to me.
    AB Still learning

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @Allotment Boy, you will enjoy the allotment section on this week's programme.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,988
    I agree about holes in TV presenters' clothes as well as in what they tell us.   Have to agree about hair lines too, whether showing dark roots or grey/white roots but I am fortunate in not having to colour my hair which is still light brown with blonde streaks and some white ones now.

What I like about Beechgrove is that they test things and show you what works and what doesn't and don't always go for the expensive option.   Lots of handy tips each week even if not necessarily applicable to me.  Loved the trials of comfrey feed for tomatoes a couple of years ago and Jim being sceptical about the results so he did it again and now uses comfrey feed.

That bit on apple pruning was great info for people like me contemplating a few new trees and with one or two found lurking in the boundary trees here.  No apples last year tho so no idea what kind.

As for a new GW presenter - Chris Beardshaw has impeccable credentials and I could cope very happily with Adam Frost or Matthew Wilson.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,559
    Obelixx said:

As for a new GW presenter - Chris Beardshaw has impeccable credentials and I could cope very happily with Adam Frost or Matthew Wilson.
    Agreed & in that order!
    AB Still learning

I agree too.. I'd love it if the whole panel from GQT did GW (in the GW format).  I quite like Monty, and do feel he is a better choice than Joe Swift or several others currently on the program.. even if he is lacking in gardening 'facts'.  :)
    Utah, USA.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,988
    Joe Swift is not a gardener!   Very pleased he no longer pops up regularly on GW.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Last year was the first time I watched Beechgrove and I really enjoy it. Like Obelixx says their testing of different varieties and methods is fantastic for a novice allotmenteer like me.

I really like Monty, and particularly enjoy his travelogue series, but I was watching some old episodes of GW on Youtube over the winter and it does seem to be quite repetitive. There are quite long segments that are almost direct repeats of previous year's shows. If he starts a topiary of Nellie tonight I'll start getting suspicious. Perhaps it is getting to the stage of needing a freshen up. Please not Adam though, and definitely not Joe Swift or Frances Girlguide. Chris or Carole from Beechgrove would be great. I'm not sure Bob Flowerdew would be seen as a modernising influence by the Beeb hierarchy, so it'll probably go to Claudia Winkelwotsit.

Hopefully I'll change my mind again after tonight's GW.

Just realised how like the Arsene Wenger saga at Arsenal this is beginning to sound.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
    If he starts a topiary of Nellie tonight I'll start getting suspicious.

Please not Adam though, and definitely not Joe Swift or Frances Girlguide

Oh my goodness.. these two comments had me giggling.. I can't stop.   :D
    Utah, USA.