Forum home The potting shed

Beechgrove Garden - 19th April

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,988
    My gardening jumper has a hole.  I was attacked by roses when watering them - still in their pots waiting for new beds - and it proved mortal for a sleeve.  I have holes in gardening trousers too.   That's why they're gardening clothes.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025
    Back in the day, it was Jim McColl who was the new kid on the block and it was George who was the 'son of the soil'. It's quite funny now seeing Jim McColl in the role of fuddy-duddy and all the younger presenters trying to steal a march on him. I would like to see a much younger presenter joining the show, so we have a continuation. The actual gardeners at the Beechgrove are quite young - perhaps one of them could be given a slot..............
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,220
    Ditto re holes in gardening clothes, Obelixx.  I found Monty's wearing a holed jumper rather endearing... he's demonstrating gardening, not being a clothes horse.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,832
    edited April 2018
    Gardening holes are fine in sweaters.. but not for national TV.  That and substantial hair root growth showing in women with dyed hair.  Honey, you must make a billion dollars an hour, go to the salon and get those roots touched up. 
    FYI: I don't judge normal women walking around at the grocery story by those same standards (because it's me every six weeks).. just those on national television.   :)
    I also don't judge you for your holely wear Obelixx.. unless you're on national TV.  
    Utah, USA.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    edited April 2018
    So real gardeners are not allowed to look like real people? Carol Klein got the RHS Victoria Medal recently, but she is just herself. She prefers her jeans and boots to anything else.

I can't imagine any of our UK presenters visiting a salon to present gardening shows. They know we all have our gardening jumpers. That's how we do it.
    SW Scotland
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,514
    Hubby held up my 30 year old wax jacket and carried it towards me. 
    " Don't even think about it!! Just don't say a word!! It's not going anywhere but back in the cupboard! I'm not throwing it away! I've had that jacket longer than I've had you ! do I make myself clear?"
    Not another word was spoken.
    Wise man.
    Devon.
    I't not the holes in his jumper, but the holes in his knowledge I question.
    Devon.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,832
    Hostafan, who would you prefer?  I adore Bob Flowerdew, and all his wackiness, and would love a weekly peek into his garden.  
    Utah, USA.
    I'd prefer anyone who gives us facts, not opinions purporting to be facts.
    Devon.