Forum home The potting shed

Beechgrove Garden - 19th April

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,514
      I think Monty is gentle as well, cannot ever imagine him swearing or loosing his rag. 
    I can most certainly imagine him losing his rag, i.e. whenever he doesn't get his own way . 
    That's what I hear from folk who have worked with him.
    Devon.
  • Bobby SprayBobby Spray Stirling ScotlandPosts: 21
    My wife and I laughed hilariously at Carol saying 'tatties' in one episode last year in her full queens English accent. Apart from that and laughing at Jim's large belly tucked into the crotch of his trousers ( will he ever retire?) there is nothing we like about this program. Aberdeen is too far north for a gardening program and Aberdonians too miserable to make good presenters. 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Why do watch it then?

SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,988
    Funny.  I always think Jim and Carol have a twinkle about them and a degree of banter about their personal quirks.   They have old-fashioned tastes for bedding plants and so on but they do at least do trials which are useful to ordinary gardeners - comfrey tea, growing mediums, pruning methods for fruit trees, plant varieties.........

I'm not keen on the community garden programmes but they do at least show how gardening can bring communities together for a common purpose and we do get to visit some of the local gardens which can be interesting.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 10,351
    Jim was a good friend of my FIL's so I have met him a couple of times and I found him very good company.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Bump - it's back this week.  Thursday evening in Scotland.  Early Sunday morning BBC2 for the rest of the UK.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,832
    I love the personalities on Beechgrove.. and the way they do trials and tests of different methods and products.  My growing climate is about as far removed from Scotland as is possible, but I still come away from each episode with tips and tricks for my own garden.  I am excited they are back on air tonight.  
    Utah, USA.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025
    I can sometimes have 2 weeks of a difference in growth between here in the central belt and inverness. And I can be weeks behind the ones who are down south. You just need to look at the temperatures on the nightly weather forecasts to see that there can be 10+ deg C or more between us. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    Watched it after dance class last night.  Very happy that they showed progress on that butchered apple tree form last year.   I made sure OH paid attention to that as it seems we have an apple tree or two planted along one of the fences between us and farmer Luc and OH has appointed himself fruit monitor.  

OH asked me if our polytunnel was going to look like their's.  Yes, if you clear it and level it and put a timber edge down, said I.   Silence.  Oh well.  Maybe later.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Drip feed the knowledge Obelixx.
    Another sunny morning.  Could get used to this weather if given half a chance.
    SW Scotland