Forum home Wildlife gardening

Squirrels in your garden. Does it bother you much yes or no?

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,332
    @Guernsey Donkey2 - I think you should leave well alone!  If you don't already have squirrels it could upset the ecosystem to introduce them.  No doubt they would eat the favourite food of some other, more interesting, creature...  on the little Scottish island I know well, someone accidentally introduced hedgehogs.  (They had a couple in their fenced garden to eat slugs, but the hedgehogs got out, bred, and are now widely distributed throughout the island.)  Not a problem, you might think, and hedgehogs are lovely (and in decline nationwide).  However, this island is a haven for ground-nesting birds... or was, until the hedgehogs started to proliferate.  They eat birds' eggs.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,153
    New Zealand has the same problem. The have no indigenous mammals at all; daft British colonists bought hedgehogs with them and now they have an infestation with no natural predators. I always wonder if they could bring island hedgehogs to England, where we need them. Could it work?
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,970
    I always get very concerned when I read 'there's this ..... and it only eats.... Why don't we introduce it to control .....?'
    Maybe it only eats ...... because that's all that they fancy in their natural habitat?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 158
    We have a resident pair of Grey Squirrels with regular juveniles which are raised from Dreys within our garden. In addition we have five mature Hazel trees so in the autumn there is an absolute feast for hoards of them. I've never seen them cause any damage whatsoever but that said they have never managed to get in the roof which I wouldn't fancy. The species has been recorded raiding birds nests but last year for example Woodpigeon, Blackcap, Bullfinch, Siskin and Collared Dove all nested within feet of our Drey and no Squirrel harm was done. The Collared Dove eggs were taken by a Jay though. Literally never heard of any Squirrel species stripping bark, that sounds a bit counter productive for an aboreal species. Also note the Greys are not aggressive toward Red Squirrels but do out-compete them on every level which is sadly why the Red's become driven out.
    Luv Dave
  • I would swap the Jackdaws for squirrels at the moment,we are inundated with the noisy cackling things,now watching them taking nesting material into the opposite neighbours chimney,!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257
    May I ask what are cold tar soap? And how exactly do you place them on tree if you don’t mind me asking as I may have to do this method to stop the squirrels from getting at my tree in future refences. 
    Thank you so much in advance XD 
    The others are right about the soap .....I’m not yet 27 so didn’t know it was “coal” not “cold” 😳.....so I’ve learned something new today.

I collect the bags you get garlic bulbs in at the SM, and use those to hold the soap tied up with string.  Enough to let the smell out, but not for the soap to disintegrate in the rain.

I hang it when the fruits get to cherry size and remove it at the beginning of August - by then they have got big enough for them not to bother thieving.  One bag per tree.
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    They don't cause an issue here apart from digging the lawn up in patches & squawking like high pitched crows in the early hours of late spring/summer
    Took us ages to work out what that noise was when we first moved here Mark .....distinctly un-squirrel like  :o
    Does this work ....