Forum home Wildlife gardening

Squirrels in your garden. Does it bother you much yes or no?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,703
    They’ve stripped the bark off the trees opposite where we are.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 966
    I only have one that visits and mostly it heads through my garden to the one up the road so it doesn't bother me. I have squirrel-proofed my bird feeders though and it does mildly annoy me that it eats all the hazel nuts before I can get at them.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    I have a like/hate attitude towards them.
    I they would stay in the woodland, fine but I have to cover all pots of bulbs with wire mesh to stop the blighters digging. I remove lots of, what would become chestnut trees from the garden every year from where they bury chestnuts.
    Bird feeders are all squirrel-proof.
    SW Scotland
  • I wouldn't mind them we have loads of trees nearby but none around our immediate area - I know they are pests but rather them than foxes...!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Rats with a good publicity agent. Though I make an exception for Tufty :smiley:
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,504
    edited March 2018
    We had a lot of grey squirrels in the gardens where I used to work ... they damaged trees and shrubs, ate birds' eggs and nestlings and damaged wiring in the roof ... putting our whole social work team virtually out of action for nearly a week.

I know there are squirrels in the oak woodland near here but they rarely venture into our garden ... I don't harm them but I will clap my hands and run at them as soon as they appear over the fence ... we've lived here since 2011 and  I've only had to do that about three times ... I think that in the main they're happier sticking to the woodlands where the acorns are. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• kristine015kristine015 Northern Ireland Belfast UKPosts: 66
    Thank you everyone for replying on this thread.
     It’s really nice to see other people’s opinions and experiences. 
    I believe that where I am (in Belfast) the red squirrels has been driven off by the grey ones. I’ve never really seen any red ones before. The grey has always been known to be aggressive and hence why they’ve driven the local native red squirrels. 
    In terms of destroying anything in my garden the squirrels has never really done that. I dunno maybe they know we’re friendly towards them and  leave food like bread crust, peanuts and ofcourse the bird seeds/fatballs they steal, so they never have to destroy or dig out bulbs. Hopefully they will never destroy anything in my garden in the future. :) 
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. -A. Einstein 
  • BeefleyBeefley SE DartmoorPosts: 34
    We have at least four grey squirrels in our garden.  I quite like them, although they  cost me a fortune in bird food (only some of our feeders are squirrel proof).  Last year we saw baby squirrels trying to bury bread which was very cute.   I do sometimes yell at them out the window if they spend too long on the feeders whilst the birds wait patiently for their turn, but the squirrels look at me as if to say "yeah, whatever" then carry on eating.... 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201
    I have squirrel proof bird feeder, baffles etc. I do like watching the antics, but one year they took 70 corn cobs in an afternoon, and most years they eat the camellia flowers. I cut down the apricot tree , as they ate the fruit when they were still green.  I would sooner have reds , but there are none in this area.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3