Image size test - please take part!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,590
    all loaded by the time I'd finished reading the text.
    Devon.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 320
    edited March 2018
    at work, just tested 88 mbps download speed and yet all load very slow...quite odd.   they load from top to bottom of the image, which is also odd, JPG compression usually doesn't work like that.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,092
    I think some people have forgotten, that several people left the forum after the last reorganisation, due to the difficulty in loading pictures that were deemed too large.
    Other sites that I am familiar with do not limit the size of pictures I upload.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    I'm inclined to agree, Stuart.

Topbird said:
    Me too.

Those wanting to upload pictures can make the choice whether or not to resize images. Those of us unable to access faster broadband have no choice at all in the matter.

I think the current setup discriminates against those cursed with low broadband speeds. Since bigger files look the same as smaller ones on most monitors, a file size limit is a no brainer. Those who want to upload pics will soon learn how to reduce their size.

I would quote myself from the first page but I'm afriad of losing the whole lot. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    We can't introduce an automatic file resizer, so you have a choice between having a larger file size limit (which means slower page loading times for those with slower internet speeds), or a lower file size limit (which means those with large files will have to resize them externally). 

Surely option two makes sense as adjustments can be made, whereas with option one people with slow internet have no choice but to lump it.
    I have abstained as my vote may disadvantage others.
    Here it is again.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,402
    I guess we can't pls everyone - either will not everyone will be able to see pics or others will get the grump at having to resize images. Is there an automatic resizing function as part of the website back end, adjusting between posting and publishing?
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,875
    My point is that by some people choosing not to resize images, those who have to endure slower broadband are being denied full access to the forum.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,427
    All had loaded fast here.
  • stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    Phones are now able to take pictures you could blow up to street poster size, and they're getting bigger.........
    If people leave the forum because they're not allowed to upload huge pictures, so be it. Topbird is right, uploaders have a choice, those with slow broadband don't. 
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    All images also loaded ok for me, it was a bit slow over WiFi but was able to read the information again before it loaded. 
This discussion has been closed.