Image size test - please take part!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933
    The 'native' size of an image depends on the type of camera or phone you use. All photos taken with the same device will be the same size. The size is spoken of as either the dimension of the image in pixels or the file size of the image in Mb or kb (1000kb = 1Mb). The images from my camera are all 6000 pixels wide by 4000 pixels high. Which equates to a file
    B3 said:
    Can anyone explain to me what 'size' actually means?
    Is it the resolution,pixels,dimensions of the photo or what?

size of 25Mb or so. So HUGE! For web photos, I would normally resize them on my phone or pc to a max of 1200 pixels wide by 800 pixels deep and that file size is only about 500kb. So much much smaller and so up/downloads faster if your broadband is slow. Resolution really only comes into play if you are printing an image. 

As for vibrancy, a lot depends on  the lighting conditions when the photo is taken and to some extent on the skill of the photographer. I don't think many people would do more than crop(possibly) and resize a photo for uploading here. 

Hope that helps. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,026
    All loaded slowly but not painfully so.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,021
    Thanks so much hogweed. I understand what we're talking about now :D
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,687

Have been waiting 4 minutes and they are arriving slowly, about a third of the way. I's funny because on the old forum it was much quicker and the forum before that it was much much quicker. On the last forum I couldn't post photos over 2MB, I thought that was the limit. Never knew it was 5MB.

Just looked again, 5 mins now, No 2 has arrived, No 1 is nearly there.

7 minutes now, No 4 has arrived and No 3 is nearly there.

I can't do anything about the internet here, have had France telecom to look at it, they deny there is any problem and there is no other provider available, so I've been told.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,687
    edited March 2018
    My Internet speed is 0.783 mbps for download and 0.384 for upload.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    I think the current setup discriminates against those cursed with low broadband speeds. Since bigger files look the same as smaller ones on most monitors, a file size limit is a no brainer. Those who want to upload pics will soon learn how to reduce their size.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,319
    I'm inclined to agree, Stuart.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,768
    Me too.

Those wanting to upload pictures can make the choice whether or not to resize images. Those of us unable to access faster broadband have no choice at all in the matter.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,816
    I don't mind what we do as long as we do not loose too much definition and we can zoom in successfully.  Otherwise it's not worth having the photos especially if it's on an ID thread.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,309
    all loaded by the time I'd finished reading the text.
    Devon.
This discussion has been closed.