Image size test - please take part!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,287
    Hostafan1 said:
    tee hee, am I the only person who is now MORE confused than before?

Nope!
    Whew

Devon.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,051
    @Sheps and @Joyce21 - your photos loaded instantly.

@Hostafan1 - sorry - your photo was taking so long to download - line by line - I gave up and came to the next page - 😢

@Wayside - your pic downloaded instantly. Was that Hosta's original pic?

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,287
    @Topbird, wayside reduced my photo. ( by some clever trick of Hogwarts Magic )
    Devon.
    Hosta 😜

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • 2 and 4 loaded immediately. 3 loaded within a few seconds and 1 loaded very slowly
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,632
    Lyn said:
    I am sure this site isn’t piggybacking, could be wrong. 
    I've probably used the wrong term ...  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Wayside  also made a very valid point a couple of pages ago. If these pages and photos are now very large file sizes - they can really eat into any monthly data allowances.

I usually view the site at home, over wi-fi with an unlimited monthly data allowance. Other forum users may have limited download allowance so they may need to reconsider whether they can still afford to use a data-heavy forum. 

When I'm out and about or on holiday I try to use local wi-fi networks (hotels, cafés etc) whenever possible. Sometimes, however,  I have no option other than to use some of the mobile data monthly allowance which comes with my mobile phone package. That is 2Gb (2000 Mb) per month.

On holiday I usually need to keep some mobile data allowance available for finding out where the best pubs and off licenses are ;)  I certainly won't be able to use my mobile data for accessing the forum if it's going to eat into it at a rate of knots :'(
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 827
    No problem, Dove...I thought it was after reading your previous post  :)
  • ShepsSheps Posts: 827
    Have to agree with, Wayside re the allowed 1.5MB size for an avatar, my Dragonfly avatar is a tiny 13.6kb

Also, good points raised re data allowances, so why not set the image file size up to 1MB, this is plenty big enough for web images.

But, I suppose this will also cause problems for those who don't know how to resize an image, I think this is going to be tricky for the team to make sure everyone is happy.
    I know that introducing a much smaller file size limit will mean more effort for those needing to resize images but surely it's far more important that the maximum number of people can view the maximum number of threads and posts on this forum.

Even more so because the forum is funded by advertising.

It's bad and sad enough that some long established members of the forum are having to bail out because they can't use it. It's even more concerning if potential new members don't join because they try to have 'quick peek' at some threads and get fed up waiting for things to download.
This discussion has been closed.