Forum home The potting shed

Image size test - please take part!

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827
    Have to agree with, Wayside re the allowed 1.5MB size for an avatar, my Dragonfly avatar is a tiny 13.6kb

Also, good points raised re data allowances, so why not set the image file size up to 1MB, this is plenty big enough for web images.

But, I suppose this will also cause problems for those who don't know how to resize an image, I think this is going to be tricky for the team to make sure everyone is happy.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,639
    I know that introducing a much smaller file size limit will mean more effort for those needing to resize images but surely it's far more important that the maximum number of people can view the maximum number of threads and posts on this forum.

Even more so because the forum is funded by advertising.

It's bad and sad enough that some long established members of the forum are having to bail out because they can't use it. It's even more concerning if potential new members don't join because they try to have 'quick peek' at some threads and get fed up waiting for things to download.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    edited April 2018
    Hostafan1 said:
    tsk, I can't add outside the quote box. 
    For Pauline, mine took longer than Sheps, but for Dove it was the other way round?? Most odd.
    Local load? If somebody else is streaming a video or whatever at the same time as you're trying to load something your throughput will be lower. And then there's caching to consider.

Try measuring your speeds at different times of the day using one of the online Broadband Speed Checkers. Does it vary much? Ours does!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,409
    @Hostafan1  To  type a post following a quote, move your cursor to below the quote box using your Arrow Keys  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,772
    @Hostafan1  To  type a post following a quote, move your cursor to below the quote box using your Arrow Keys  :)
    that's what I usually do, but on that occasion , it wouldn't let me.
    Devon.
    You've done something to upset it ... speak to it nicely  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    I find shouting usually works better with computers ...
    I find shouting usually works better with computers ...
     B) 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,990
    >:)
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,990
    >:)
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.