Forum home Problem solving

How to encourage flowering of Snapdragons?

Hi,
I currently have snapdragons in my garden. Almost every branch have flowers/ buds on them. Some of the flowers bloomed and have fallen of the plant. How do I encourage more flowering?  

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,409
    Hello, Mahogany. Gosh, that's early, are you in the UK? When mine flower in the summer, it's only just spring now and there has been snow fairly recently, they always take a bit of a break before the new buds and flowers start. I just cut off the old flowers to stop them seeding.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
    If you cut off the whole flower stalk on the ones that have broken or flowered,to just below the bottom flower on the stalk,  it will encourage new flowering shoots. Feed them with a  high potash fertiliser such as phostrogen to encourage flowering.
  • @Busy-Lizzie- No, I'm not in the UK. Its almost been a month my snapdragons are in full bloom. I will try cutting off the dry flowers. Thankyou! :)

@fidgetbones- Thankyou! :) I recently added organic fertilizer to it. I will try cutting the old and dry flowers.