Forum home Problem solving

Laying turf in back garden.... Help & advice needed

james_bridgfordjames_bridgford Posts: 7
edited March 2018 in Problem solving
I need some help and advise......

We are looking to get our back garden returfed. I had someone come to ours last night to give me a price on laying new turf down on our back garden. 

He said instead of taking up the original turf (save on cost) as it is in okay condition. He said he would start by spraying a quick penetration killer to kill of the existing grass in the morning, add top soil to level the area before laying new turf later in the same day.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,170
    Sounds odd to me.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Why are you getting new turf? If the ground conditions are poor for turf then this new stuff will suffer the same fate. You also do not lay anything on newly sprayed ground as it can impair the action of the weedkiller  the old turf should be rotovator thoroughly 2 weeks after spraying, with the addition of suitable material to improve conditions. Possibly new drainage dug too. 
  • Sorry i forot to mention orignally.... We had a our garage removed so that part of the garden, which is 1/3 of the space needs turf laying so I thought I would do the whole back garden at the same time