Forum home Problem solving

Gardening Good for the heart and soul

Dear Gardening Friends, I was just interested to hear if anyone has a health condition, and how gardening has helped you in some way. I have Crohn's disease, I sadly lost my mother to the condition as well. I have had it ten years this year. I have had good and some very bad days, but getting into gardening after I lost my mother has helped me and my condition immensely. I am an amateur gardener, self taught, I watch each and every gardening programme going. And I am passionate about gardening and my garden. I love seeing all of your beautiful pictures on here. And the lovely comments that we give to each other and help and advice as well. To nourish a little seed and to watch it grow from strength to strength is one of natures beautiful things. As is the wildlife in our gardens. With all that is going on in the world at the moment, and for all our aches and pains. Gardening is magical, inspirational, healing, and puts a smile on my face. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,850
    Well said, Jacqueline!  I'm lucky enough not to have problems with my health, other than the normal aches and pains associated with my age - but gardening is wonderful for brightening my mood, and putting any problems in perspective.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease last year and my initial reaction was that I would have to sell up, give up the garden (which is basically most of my life) and buy a soulless apartment somewhere. But then I realised that I can still do all the things I could before my condition had a name, albeit sometimes a bit more slowly, so why should I give it up.

Now I also find that getting out in the garden is the major thing that keeps me active and cheerful and I have no intention of stopping any time soon. I know in the longer term I'll probably have to make some adjustments but I plan to enjoy the garden I have created over 22 years for many years to come.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,692
    I agree with everything you say Jaqueline,Liriodendron and Singing Gardener.
    It is so good for the soul. My daughter has Crohns,my Father was 90 when he died of bowel cancer,but he did his gardening right to the end.I'm encouraging my daugher to garden with her little patch,and she is loving it! I planted daffs for her back in August,and she has been so thrilled to watch them grow,right from the first tiny spears of green after Christmas!  Now she's putting in all sorts,and I get lots of phone calls,checking if she's doing the right thing!! It's lovely!😀
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    I agree. Gardening is a true medicine.  I have arthritis in my spine and bending and lifting anything are out. My surgeon says I should give up gardening, but I can't entertain that idea at all!  So I've thought creatively - I have embraced wildlife in place of manicured lawns (now full of clover and bird's-foot trefoil,  so lots of lovely bees!) and I use little trowels designed for children, which are very lightweight. Lots of Buddleja too, to fill up bare spaces. I feed the birds everyday, and it lifts the soul to sit on a seat in the sunshine and just be with nature. 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, mainly affecting hands, wrists, feet and shoulders, and osteoarthritis in knees and spine.  My hips are in tip top condition tho'!

But exercise is essential for me, as the absolute worst is sitting on a squishy sofa.  And being outdoors helps top up my feeble vitamin D levels.   So just have to work around it.  Basically I garden in what seems a random fashion as I can't do the same task for more than half an hour, or a lot of repetitive movements.  So tools all over the place and lots of half finished jobs as I totter from task to task...and there are lots of sitting down spots in the garden!  Keeps me happy tho' and much more fun than housework..

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Lots of us have arthritic bits to varying degrees of pain and disability.  Joyce, another poster, has put us on to taking turmeric in capsule form.  Google for info on curcuma and give it a go but make sure you buy from a reputable source.

Other than that, yes, gardening is great therapy for weary bodies and weary brains.   I hope to be at it for many a long year to come.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Obelixx said:
    Lots of us have arthritic bits to varying degrees of pain and disability.  Joyce, another poster, has put us on to taking turmeric in capsule form.  Google for info on curcuma and give it a go but make sure you buy from a reputable source.
    If that was directed at me then thanks, but no thanks.  There is a huge difference between the normal bits and pieces of arthritis that we nearly all get as we age and some of the things like aggressive spondylitis of the spine, the different inflammatory arthrites and so on.   It can be quite offensive for people to constantly suggest that everything would be much better if only I tried x or y miracle remedy.  No doubt you only meant to be helpful, but please be aware that most of us with one of these serious diseases are pretty expert in managing our conditions and don't like having quack medicine thrust at us. Yes lifestyle and diet is important and can make a difference to a few people, but it's minor.  Anyway, do you really think we wouldn't have tried everything that's possible?  

I will get off my high horse now. 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Helix, Obelixx was trying to be helpful.
    It was my daughter, a Medical Consultant who recommended taking turmeric.
    She takes it along with her other prescribed medications for SLE and found it helpful.
    I have not had any pain from my arthritis for a year now and others have benefited  from it too. 
    My GP has approved my taking it and it is not viewed as a "quack" medicine. 
    SW Scotland
    Agree that turmeric and black pepper is one of the more effective things...and I recognise that Obélix was trying to be helpful which I tried to make clear.  However I do get fed up of endless advice about remedies.  It is essentially saying this disease is your own fault because you eat tomatoes and peppers (or whatever the current wisdom is) and that taking strong drugs is dreadful as if it was something I wanted to do...
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Helix - you are clearly a special case and I' sorry  for your pain but, for the majority of us with "normal" arthritis, turmeric and black pepper can and have made a huge difference and anything that helps even one person has to be good so yes - get off your high horse and think maybe about those that can be helped.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw