Forum home Plants

Well rotted manure on roses in containers?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 758
Hi guys,

I have some roses in large containers and I have spread some well rotted manure as a mulch around them as you would when they are in the ground.

I was wondering if this is ok to do? I figured if you do this for roses growing in the ground then surely you can do it for roses growing in containers? I have also fed them with a granular rose feed and tickled it into the compost and the manure on top of it.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,847
    I think it would be fine. But the main reason I don't use my own horses' manure is that eventually it seems to grow a lot of weeds. I don't know whether the weeds in the meadow hay survive the journey through the gut or whether the heap doesn't get hot enough, and it has hay in it. But I do feed with a granular rose food at this time of year and add fresh multipurpose compost.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,637
    I apply composted manure to my potted roses, so you are not alone.  They're still alive so nothing to worry about..
    East Anglia, England
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 758
    Well the manure I'm using is just out of a bag from the garden centre so I will keep an eye out for any weed seedlings.

I suppose it will help feed the roses as it would in the ground. It will be interesting to see how healthy it keeps them this year. It doesn't help having a neighbour who has a rose that is absolutely covered from top to bottom in black spot! Fighting a losing battle really.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,847
    Garden centre manure shouldn't have weed seeds, so you'll be fine. I think the roses will enjoy it.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653
    I do this with quite a few potted shrubs/deep pots, it works well for me too.