Forum home Problem solving

Garden Compost Bin - Vermin ?

TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135
My local council who weekly collect Garden Waste whatever that maybe up to 50mm thick branches.

They are now going to do a 'seasonal collection' meaning no winter collections. They suggest in composting our own for the benefit of the garden.

My question: If I purchased a Compost Bin from our local garden centre, would this attract Vermin as they have a large opening near the base.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,196
    We have two compost heaps made from old pallets. They are about 1.5 metres wide, deep and long. We fill them with garden waste - leaves, roots and the odd branch that falls from the old trees above them. We also add kitchen waste. We are vegetarians so the kitchen waste is yet more leaves and roots, but no branches. We cover the compost heaps with thick plastic sheet which is weighted with bricks.

We have no problem with vermin.

I have no experience of any other kind of compost heap but I would guess that vermin only go where they can find food. Old leaves, roots and branches are not the sort of thing your average rat would walk a mile for.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135
    edited March 2018
    Thanks,

You say they go where they can find food. But you are putting food waste in there although its not meat or fish.

Asking as many years ago I did have a compost container made in timber sat on soil, but always remember find a hole next by of around 4cm dia in the soil and thats why I asked. Made up using grass cuttings and kitchen waste (no meat etc) and leaves/plants in late autumn.
    Well, maybe we are lucky.
    Or maybe we are so mean that we only leave them onion skins and carrot peelings and they go elsewhere. 😀
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I have never had the slightest problem.
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
    I was advised by my parents not to compost kitchen waste, as it might attract vermin. Hence I don't. I suspect that kitchen waste may attract vermin depending on the circumstances. I have a faint wish for a wormery - another way to deal with kitchen waste.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    I never put any cooked food or meat in the compost. I've never had any problem.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    edited March 2018
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I don't like the plastic bins - it's quite hard to make good compost in them and they are heavy to move around. If you have the space, something like Pansy's is the best and you can make or buy wooden compost bins that look very smart if you can't hide it! Rats like humans: we build warm homes and chuck food about, so they have lived with us for thousands of years. However, if you avoid cooked waste and turn your compost from time to time, they will live with your neighbours, instead.

incidentally, you won't be able to compost branches unless you can chop them up.

Branches do take quite a few years to break down, it’s true.
    And they are impossible to chew, unless you are a beaver. 😀