Forum home Wildlife gardening

Missing the Starlings

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243
    Funnily enough, I went for a walk yesterday about five miles from my house and I saw about twenty starlings in a field.
    We never get them near our house despite having plenty of similar fields around us.
    It was great to see them. I haven’t seen any for several years.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433
    We have lots of starlings in the garden at the moment, which is great because I really love them. They have such beautiful plumage and I love the way they walk - they always remind me of Charlie Chaplin! Starlings are in decline however and currently have a UK conservation status of red.
    🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,785
    We've lived in this house for 9 years. In the first few years we were here, I don't think I saw any starlings, or not enough together for me to notice they were starlings. But 2 years ago I saw a small group of them in the field above us a few times, there were more last year, and this winter there were enough to make a very small murmuration, which was lovely to see.
    It's not like it used to be 20 odd years ago or more, when I remember watching huge winter flocks swooping about the Cornish sky, or when you couldn't hear yourself think walking through the streets of Bath at dusk for the racket of starlings roosting on the buildings.
    But just around here, there does seem to have a been a small fightback in the last year or two. I hope so :)
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243
    edited March 2018
    There’s a 300 page report here

https://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/shared_documents/publications/research-reports/2002/rr290.pdf

When you’ve read it, maybe you could let me know the answer.😀
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,541
    We have a small flock of starlings - but big enough for Sainsbury' s to install a scarer - fair enough - they **** on the trolleys.
    They roost on a gasometer which is going to be dismantled to build an Ald,i apparently. I like the gasometer, it's blue and well-maintained - not even rusty and it's what passes for an ancient monument in our area.
    But, come to think of it, I haven't seen any starlings for a few months. Are they migratory? I hope so, or else we've lost them too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254
    We have fewer than in years gone by, but the few we have dominate the feeders! No other birds dare go near.