Forum home Plants

Weed killer, problem or not?

CLBCLB Nottingham, East MidlandsPosts: 26
So towards the end of last summer/early autumn my mum sprayed all of the beds around the lawn in the front garden to kill all the weeds, we have removed pretty much all of the weeds and I was just wondering as we used so much weed killer on them will the soil be affected? Will we be able to start planting again this year as normal or not?

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,002
    It rather depends on what weedkiller was used. Glyphosate is de-activated on contact with soil, but some other types are not and can have a more lasting effect. If you haven't any new weed growth showing since late summer it could be bad news as regards planting.
  • CLBCLB Nottingham, East MidlandsPosts: 26
    We have had new weed growth so does that mean the soil will be good to go?
  • In the Summer season, my field is attacked by the Weeds. And as I was using the weed killers provided by the government offices in the local district. After using them, my entire crop was destroyed due to the bad weeds. As that bad weed has glyphosate as the main ingredient in their chemical. If someone can help me out or give suggestions regarding this, that will be helpful
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,625
    Where are you @beandenderss ?
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,472
    CLB, if you have had new weed growth then your mum probably used Glyphosate which means you can start replanting. It only affects the plants it is sprayed onto. 
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Old post resurrected @Busy-Lizzie
  • In the Summer season, my field is attacked by the Weeds. And as I was using the weed killers provided by the government offices in the local district. After using them, my entire crop was destroyed due to the bad weeds. As that bad weed has glyphosate as the main ingredient in their chemical. If someone can help me out or give suggestions regarding this, that will be helpful
    In fact, in my neighbor, my friend lost his entire field as the weeds attacked on his field on just the end of the month. We tried to remove it from hands but it wasn't possible as the field size was so large. Some manual weeds killers are available in the market like which will kill the weeds naturally without any loss to the field.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,472
    So it is Rubytoo! Forgot we are now in 2019 and it's still January!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,430
    Sorry, but we can’t advise without knowing where the field is, what the crop is, what the weed killer is, how it’s been applied and what the result was. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh