Arch

We had an arch made, which was a real fiddle for the stonemasons.  After 4 years it is beginning to crack and needs rebuilding.  The question is, should we have such a deep arch as it is now, or a more shallow curve to follow the line of the gate?

• Arch I was going to post some pictures, but I will have to take a few more - I will try to post them here tomorrow.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,156
    The curve of the stone arch is a centuries old design intended for strength.  Just look at old Roman style churches.  I think your stone masons just need to come and repair or re-do it as it should have lasted more than a few years.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,477
    I think,  ( correct me if I am wrong ) that the centre brick should be more triangular than it is. They are more like that in old arches. That's where the strength comes from. 
  • David WDavid W Posts: 84
    I agree with Pauline. That final piece would be the keystone which locks all the others in place and gives the arch its strength. Though I am no expert.

cheers,
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 774
    Obelixx said:
    The curve of the stone arch is a centuries old design intended for strength.  Just look at old Roman style churches.  I think your stone masons just need to come and repair or re-do it as it should have lasted more than a few years.
    I’m not sure a stone mason that clearly doesn’t know what a keystone is would be worth calling back...not that I’m an expert or anything.
  • kristine015kristine015 Northern Ireland Belfast UKPosts: 66
    Just want to say the arch is beautiful! 
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. -A. Einstein 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,001
    That arch looks quite nice, but IMHO the gate is a total mismatch. :/
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    The central brick, the one which has the cracks either side of it, needs to be much more triangular as others have said.  The basic principal of the arch is that if it tries to drop the segments lock against each other.  A top piece with straight sides will simple drop out, as is basically starting to happen there.
  • Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the original job or the stone masons who worked on the arch - their gaffer was a real craftsman but was on his last legs (died soon after our job) and didn't involve himself too much with the physical work. They made a wooden frame replica of the arch shape to work to.
    I will relay your comments to the stone mason who is starting next week - thanks for all the helpful comments.