There are bubbles all over our pond.

we moved into our house three and a half years ago and have enjoyed the pond which was in situ. Newts live happily in there and we had loads of dragonflies emerging last summer. This spring we have noticed bubbles all over the pond. We haven't had them before. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing them? Are they dangerous to the wildlife? What should we do about them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,518
    Just checking that you know what frogspawn looks like ... if it's not spawn then it's likely to be gases from decomposing vegetable matter (fallen leaves etc).   It usually resolves itself but if it doesn't you can get stuff from Blagdons called Sludgebuster ... it's a perfectly natural and environmentally safe product that will help the sludge break down and leave clear water.  Sometimes a pond is so small that it can't establish these processes without a bit of help due to temperature fluctuations etc 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,963
    If you don't have one already, get a pond net and scrape the bottom of the pond with it to remove any dead and decomposing stuff. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088
    hogweed said:
    If you don't have one already, get a pond net and scrape the bottom of the pond with it to remove any dead and decomposing stuff. 
    but try not to sling the baby out with the bath water. Dragonfly larvae can spend up to 3 years in the aquatic phase. Hoverfly larvae will be in there as well
  • PoPo Posts: 2
    thankyou