secateurs

Can anyone recommend a really good make of secateurs ? I have very small hands and been pruning today and found it difficult. Mine aren't giving a clean cut and I nearly hack off things. Not good, I have had back surgery and no back muscle too so not much strength. Need an easier clipper. Also how do you sharpen yours. Any gadgets I can buy? Thanks

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 151
    I have a Felco but ratchet pruners are easier to use for people with low hand strength. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    I am also interested in how people sharpen, if they don't much bother, take tools somewhere to be done or use their own stones to do it.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 677
    edited March 2018
    I have a felco diamond sharpener, a bit pricey for the size but easy to use and can be used on any make of secateurs. You might find this website useful, lots of info and reviews for garden tools.
    http://www.fredshed.co.uk/homepage.htm

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    Felco for me. No2 for general pruning and No8 for more delicate jobs like deadheading.
    Devon.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 470
    Hostafan1 said:
    Felco for me. No2 for general pruning and No8 for more delicate jobs like deadheading.
    Why use different secateurs? The 2 will do the delicate pruning too!

I've actually had a felco no7 for about 8 years and used it commercially most working days and I've not even had to replace any parts yet so I'm fairly pleased. 
  • AlchemistAlchemist OxfordPosts: 175
    Take a look at these electric ones that Bosch has released.  https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/bosch-easyprune-cordless-secateurs?istCompanyId=bf3344d9-83f5-4abd-b69a-da131f7567d1&istItemId=-xqqwtqpxlt&istBid=tzxx&source=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkd3VBRDzARIsAAdGzMC8MfA7AZ_Y9sSYn03UZwTCQ9ejV2A9M1Z1l5mJ9Q1p0YtrVQeB05QaApkQEALw_wcB

I dont have these, but saw these recently in a shop and they had 15 my oak dowels for you to play with and these gave a super clean cut.  Cheets
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,752
    An elderly friend broke her wrist a couple of years ago which left her with reduced strength in her grip. Ordinary secateurs were difficult to use but she found powered secateurs allowed her to continue gardening. I don’t know which make they are or how big they are but may be worth looking at.

I like ARS snips for light pruning & dead heading (small, light, pointed blades) and Wolf secateurs and loppers for heavier pruning. 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,254
    Hostafan1 said:
    Why use different secateurs? The 2 will do the delicate pruning too!

I lost the No2, bought the No8, then found the No2 again.
    Devon.
  • stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    Spear and Jackson have an adjustable grip for smaller hands
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,931
    I have the Felco no. 6 ones. They are superb but I do find them heavy.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller