Is there anything as exciting as....

....3 box fresh borders.  It was worth the 5 hours of backbreaking labour!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,015
    I have empty bed envy ;)
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 321
    Next week's job will be to incorporate a bulk bag of compost (as long as it's not snowing again!)
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,727
    Very exciting, what are you going to plant?
    Hi Nollie.  I've got a Hydrangea Veitchii and Thalictrum rochebrunianum ready to go.

Choisya Aztec Pearl is going to add some evergreen interest and then a load of other perennials are on my wish list - phlox, asters, brunnera, pulmonaria.  
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,058
    Ah, the joy of it! I haven't done that for about 20 years! But having moved I now have that chance once again. It's just the aching back thing ...

Are those tree limbs you're edging with? Some interesting fungi will appear as if by magic!

Don't forget to label all the non-obvious plants! I like black plant labels, they almost vanish but are there when you need them. You might also like to add a few small pavers (I cut the corners off to make them octagonal) here and there to make access for maintenance easier.
    @DampGardenMan. I have had to negotiate hard for 5 years with my better half to get this space which has always been laid to lawn. She now has an extension to the house and I have new borders  :)

Edging is some beautiful coppice silver birch from the woods at the back. Just need to keep finding the right shapes to match the borders.

I will keep posting in this thread to update on progress.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,058
    > @DampGardenMan. I have had to negotiate hard for 5 years with my better half to get this space which has always been laid to lawn. She now has an extension to the house and I have new borders  :)

Seems slightly one-sided cash-wise :) I'd say you're owed a shipping container-load of plants! And explain that less lawn means less mowing means more face-time!

> Edging is some beautiful coppice silver birch from the woods at the back. Just need to keep finding the right shapes to match the borders.

I do/did the same. I drilled holes through the branches and pushed 6" nails through to hold them in place, else you find yourself knocking them into the bed. Although you might need 12" nails (if such exist). Or maybe the wood is heavy enough to stay put anyway?

Apologies for the clumsiness of the reply placement, haven't worked out how to get multiple "Racine said" quote-blocks.
    @DampGardenMan. Those logs are pretty heavy but I like your idea.

My plant list is already as long as my arm! Next planned purchase is sarcococca purple stem to go in under the conifer.

What a horrible day.  New borders are now underwater.