Forum home Plants

Portuguese Laurel not growing

Afternoon all, I hope you can provide some info on why my Portuguese Laurel hedge doesn't seem to be growing. I planted them around 18months ago around Autumn 2016 but they've not grown much from what I can tell. 

I have attached some photos. They all seem to be just over a foot high. I know they grow slower than the other laurel I have but I expected more growth by now. I'm sure they weren't much smaller when I took them out of the pots on day 1.

Should I leave them or should I cut them back? If so when should I cut them back? Hope you can help. Thanks 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    They are perfect, they’ve been making a good strong root system and when the weather warms up they will take off, I bet you will be trimming them by the end of summer.
    you could cut about a inch or two off the tips of each branch but I think they’ve good as they are, for now.  Maybe if they grow a bit straggly through the summer you can nip the tops out. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    Your shrubs don't look like Portuguese Laurel, but like Cherry Laurel. Prunus Laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken'. They are not really tall growing shrubs. They only mature to about 1 meter tall. You can give them a trim, it will definitely help them create a more denser look.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,144
    Borderline is absolutely right :- Prunus lusitanicus has reddish stems .