What is this tool?? Garden find mystery!

bighevsbighevs Posts: 22
edited March 2018 in Tools and techniques
Hi, I’ve just hacked down a really overgrown conifer and this was slotted between the Trellis and the wall the conifer was against. Any ideas what it is?! Not seen anything like it! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,654
    It reminds me of something I've seen used by a thatcher ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 598
    Does the bottom of it twizel round? Looks a bit like a homemade weather vane?
  • FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 445
    I think it looks like an old hay knife for cutting hay out of the ricks.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,654
    edited March 2018
    That could be it Fritillary ... I know I've seen one like it before and stacks of hay/straw/reed is certainly what came to my mind. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bighevsbighevs Posts: 22
    No, it’s all one piece Helix.. Thankyou for all your suggestions! It’s so old and has fussel stamped on the “knife” part, don’t now if that helps?! I live in an old terrace, thinking I could put it somewhere on display in the garden etc, just would be nice to know what it is! Didn’t know what to start researching, with your help I may get somewhere. Thankyou. 
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,504
    If you find out what it is please let us know. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    edited March 2018
    @bighevs If you Google Fussels tools, info comes up. Frome museum seem to have a fair lot of information and they might be able to help you find out a bit more.
    Thankyou AnniD! Will have a search now. 😊 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    The suggestion here is a silage knife. (I trust him...he knows stuff).

I found this picture of one.
    edited March 2018
    Fab! That’s it but without the handle. Thankyou very much! Mystery solved! 😊 I’ll give Frome museum an email tomorrow too about Fussells that made it. Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply and for being so helpful! 😊