Forum home Problem solving

planting roses

Last year I planted rose bushes with the graft above the ground but realise the graft should be below ground.  Will it be ok to dig them up and replant lower in the ground in the same place?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,111
    Well, yes it will be ok to do it, as soon as possible I would suggest as it's getting a bit late, but do you need to?  I always plant below soil level, but if your roses are doing alright then you don't have to do this.    To answer the other question, yes you can replant in the same spot.
  • Thank you, that's helpful.  As it is getting a bit late maybe I will 'observe' them this year, :-), and replant next year if necessary.  They didn't seem to do as well as I had hoped.  Perhaps mulch and feeding them more this year will help too.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291
    If you mulch generously in spring and autumn, the graft should end up below ground level :)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,406
    Advice used to be to plant with the graft just above ground level to help prevent suckers. Now we are told to plant below ground level, so maybe it doesn't really matter. I would leave them and mulch each year. I find that roses usually take at least a year to settle in.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you for your advice :-).  I think I will leave them for this year at least as it is getting late.  Yes, with mulching each year the soil level may well rise above the level of the graft.  Probably best not to disturb them if it's not really necessary.