Forum home Problem solving

Help with monster plant

Katewilson893Katewilson893 Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Problem solving
Hello, I am a newbie to gardening and just recently moved into a propert with this plant in the garden. I feel like it’s getting too big and would like to cut it right back but not sure on were to start. Hoping that a more experienced gardener could help. Thank you

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,688
    Cordyline Australis. 
    A bit of a marmite one. Some love it , some hate it.
    It might look better if you pull the old brown foliage off, but beware, wear very strong gloves and long sleeves.
    Devon.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,158
    It's not something you could "prune" i.e. cut the top off as such, but pulling all the brown bits off would certainly improve it's looks! I suspect it has several trunks, so will end up looking like small multi stemmed tree / shrub. Maybe an "after" photo please ?  :)
  • Thanks for the advise so far, it has around about 6 trunks shooting off now. To take the brown leaves off is it a case of just pulling them off? If I was to cut any of the trunks off would this affect the plant? Thanks again
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,688
    just start at the bottom of each trunk, grab a handful and give them a sharp tug, most will come away easily.Once they resist, stop. 
    You can cut the trunks back, normally you'd get new shoots start from the cut end.
    Devon.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,008
    Cordylines can be cut right back with a saw if you wish to be drastic ; or as the advice above states , 'peel' the brown leaves off downwards to tidy it up .
  • Thanks everyone I will try taking the leaves off first and then see how I feel from there