Could it really be?

I was sad at the beginning of winter to lose my friendly visiting Robin. Ihlistened to the Robins throughout the winter singing from their chosen territory and always watching as I filled the feeders, but none were as brave as my summer friend. A hard winter by southern standards but Robins sang on, now my reward is another hand tame Robin, not the same one as last year I think? Could it be the baby that Robin bought to show me before she disappeared. This photo is last years Robin.
This years Robin is as cheeky, bold and beautiful.There are two breeding pairs in the gardens and it was a delight to witness them feeding each other with my offerings. 
It has taken some time for me to work out this new site ( I am no techno whizz) so this is a bit of a test run, hope to continue reading, giggling and gaining some of your experience in the garden. Happy planting

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,658
    It may be your old friend ... they sometimes move on in the winter to avoid the worst of the weather, then return home again in the spring  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• kathie51dkathie51d Posts: 100
    Hello Dove let's hope so, Robin even appeared not to be fazed when Holly the Labradoodle got a case of jealous britches and chased Robin round the garden, Robin just darted here and there and made it's way back to me. Just as last years did, seemed to have no fear of Holly to the point of examining Holly's tail as she slept (good warm nesting material)
    Sounds as if that robin feels at home  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 845
    What do you feed them to get them tame Kathie?, i have a regular robin visitor but i cant get anywhere near. 
    We get live mealworms (through the post via Amazon) when 'our' robins are feeding their nestlings ... if you are very still and patient they soon become hand-tame .

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248
    Male robins live in their territory all their lives, they don't migrate. Female robins also have a territory but when they need a mate they go to his territory until the babies have flown. Garden robins can live around 5 years, but baby birds have a fairly high death rate. So it could well be the same robin.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Interesting info about robin migration here
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2017/05/do-robins-migrate/ 
     :) 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248
    Having looked at that I had a little Google too and found this one http://www.discoverwildlife.com/blog/everything-you-need-know-about-robin It seems some migrate and some don't. But when they are at home they stay in the same place, especially if they are male.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • kathie51dkathie51d Posts: 100
    Bijdezee said:
    What do you feed them to get them tame Kathie?, i have a regular robin visitor but i cant get anywhere near
    Hi the Robins really love the red fruit pellets, when I open the door to the outside cupboard they know the food is in there and wait for it. As Dove said patience and a handful of pellets held very still in an area they can easily fly too, I stand by the picket fence and rest my Hans on it to keep still. I call and quietly talk, they seem to enjoy the sound. If Robin is too scared at first gently drop a few pellets near but do not move until Robin has left. If really is a wonderful experience. Last year I posted photos of Robin who flew into our lounge via the bi-folds and sat on various pieces of furniture trying to get our attention for feed, it even flew onto the couch where Holly dog was sleeping!! 
    Ours flew into the sitting room the other year and sat on the rocking chair and shouted at me to get some more mealworms and be quick about it ... think he had at least two wives and nests full of nestlings to feed  :o