Partridges (but no pear tree)

We are in North London, and spotted some unusual birds in our garden last week, which looked like some kind of fowl.  We've seen them several times now, including this morning, and after some searching, we realise they are Partridges.  Have never heard of them being found in urban environments.  Is this unusual?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,668
    edited March 2018
    Partridges!!! In North London!!!! Really???

Are they Grey partridges or French partridges?

Or could they possibly be someone's escaped quail?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 566
    French Partridge, I think, but don't look like Quail.  Managed to get some decent video, but the only photo I got isn't that great.  What do you think?
    Yep ... a French partridge ... probably looking for (or has even found) a secluded nesting site in your garden!  How lovely ....... do you have farmland close by?  When the chicks are hatched they'll be looking to take them somewhere with lots of insects and grubs to feed .......... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283
    Hi KoG, I had one visit last May.  I'm in a small town 3m from leicester and just 50m from the A6!  I asked on here and Pansyface's reply was "Any pear trees?" :D

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,888
    I am in London N8 and we have seen on the streets pheasant, quail, sparrowhawk, muntjac deer...  And wallabies in Highgate cemetery. And a fair helping of badgers.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 566
    We’re in EN2, so about one mile from green belt countryside.  Would be lovely to see babies, but we have a very healthy local cat population 🙁
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,704
    We've had a pheasant patrolling the ground under our bird feeders since the snow came.  He's a gorgeous bird - but pretty gormless, so I hope he's too big for the local cats to chase.  We're on the edge of a town next to woodland.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    Ah, how lovely!  I have several that visit my garden. They love pecking at bird seed put onto the ground. They are so cute waddling around, you're really lucky.