Forum home Problem solving

Help! New house with dog poo bin in garden.

Hi all, 
We have just just moved and in our new garden there is a dog poo bin, the plastic kind that you sink into the ground and the poo seeps into the soil through holes in the side.
We don't have a dog. 
So I can lift it out and dispose of the actual thing, but my question is can I do anything about the existing poo that is in the soil? 
I know the previous owners rehomed their dogs in August last year but what are the long term implications for the soil? Is there anything I can grow there? Do I need to do lots of digging to remove the soil? And should I be wary of letting my children play/dig there? 
Thank you for any help!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,186
    Not being a dog owner, I had never heard of these things before. 
    I looked them up and found some reviews on Am******n.
    Thank you for giving me a hearty laugh on a gloomy Friday morning.
    I’m afraid I don’t have the slightest idea about how to help you though.😊

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    My understanding is that those poo bins, if used correctly, are pretty safe.  The poo that seeps into the soil will have been broken down by the bio-activator liquid that should be
    used in the bin.

I would just remove the bin and fill the whole with topsoil.  The only problem I can see is that the surface will sink as the soil settles, so sowing grass seed on the surface may result in an area of lawn with a dip.  Is the site somewhere a small tree or shrub would look good, or a birdbath or something like that?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Haha Pansyface! That is the funniest review I've read in a while! 
    Thanks for the thoughts Dove, yeah it's near the fence (which is covered in invasive ivy but that's a different issue! ) So a shrub would be fine. I guess something that likes a bit of acid would be a better idea. Any ideas? Or a bird feeder or something would be a good idea. Thanks! 

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,143
    I hope,  for your sake,  that your's is not the one mentioned in the review. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    It will be fine. It is just manure - the same stuff that farmers spread on the fields. You may find any planting on that spot to be a bit lush!!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Well... it's not quite the same as farmyard manure as farm animals are not carnivores and their manure doesn't contain the same pathogens as that of meat eating mammals.
    But that's what these dog poo bins and the special treatment sachets are designed to deal with so that they break down harmlessly.  
     :) 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hi chap! would you considering planting mushrooms? the humanure handbook might give you some other excelent ideas in this area
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,186
    Shiitake?
    🤢
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,531
    Pansyface - behave. :D
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,998
    That made me laugh (can't find shamed face emoji, unfortunately! ).
    My parents in law had one of these dog poo bins, we took it out a while ago as dog has gone to the great kennel in the sky. Filled in hole, reseeded area with lawn seed, no problems at all.