Forum home Problem solving

Waterlogged ground and also resulting dying hydrangea

My soil is waterlogged from the downpipe from my conservatory.  No drains nearbye. I am getting a water butt for there but know this won't solve the problem. What can I do please? Also the water logged soil almost killed off my hydrangea. I have dug it up and put in a pot hoping to save it. It's not looking good. Anything else I can do?

Thanks,

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,527
    I'd cut off the dead brown leaves and also the whitish ones at the bottom. Then just wait and see if it survives, they're usually pretty tough. Put it somewhere sheltered and try and keep the rain/cold winds off it if possible. Don't feed or water it for a bit.
  • Thanks Lizzie.  I will do that.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    downpipe no drain, thats very odd, Wasnt the men on horses that did the house over the road from me, was it, they DID put a downpipe on the side on the conservatory, but there was no drain underneath that! who ever designed it like that! a butt would help, we are on clay, have a couple of hydrangas, a mop head and climbing, when we days of rain, they too get waterlogged but its never killed them.They ARE tough, I would try and put in any sheltered, at leas his is the right time to prune and tidy up, it may survive.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    meant to say, I WOULDNT try and put in anywhere sheltered, I really must check things before posting!
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    That looks like a climbing hydrangea. If so it needs to go into the ground so that it can cling to the wall. At present, mine isn't in leaf.
    SW Scotland
  • It was in the ground . I dug it up as soil was sodden and killing it. I dug it up to try and save it
  • Lol Nanny Beach. Conservatory was built separately to house. Was here when I moved in July 2017. It' a north east garden and I wonder if that pluse waterlogging is doing for my hydrangea. Mind you it is VERY waterlogged.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    It doesn't look too bad. Your soil is clay base and you need to incorporate plenty of compost or manure. At this time of year, without it, your soil will be like mud and the photos show heavy damp soil. Small plants buried in that will find it hard to survive. The Hydrangea can go back in once you have worked the soil over. Think about topping it off with bark chip. Normally, this helps to stop splashing back at young plants, and keeps the base of young plants drier.
  • Thank you. When you put the spade in it is like a swamp. I'm  not sure bark will help given the run off from conservatory. I need to find a solution to the run off but will up the compost/manure as you suggest