Forum home Problem solving

Keep pets off new beds

Does anybody have any ideas of how to keep dogs off new beds until the new beds are established. This needs to be a temporary fix and should not hopefully distract from the new beds or make the garden look hideous.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    edited March 2018
    Are we talking flower beds or sleeping beds?.  The former I would use a chicken wire fence. The latter I can offer no help whatsoever as every dog I know prefers my bed to their own.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    I agree about chicken wire or cheap green wire mesh depending on height needed to protect garden beds.

As for sleeping beds, we have 2 young cats who like our bed better than their own and the dogs have always slept downstairs altho since we got these kitties Rasta comes up for a morning cuddle while I have my coffee in bed cos she loves kitties and one of them loves her back.  Very funny sometimes.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,548
    Bamboo canes pushed into the edge of the bed about 3 feet apart and then tie green twine between them to form a basic fence may keep them off depending on how determined they are.  That would be less visually intrusive, and cheaper, than chicken wire.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    If they are small dogs I would go for the chicken wire (I did get a length of field fencing from a farmer for small dogs) and bamboo canes or if bigger dogs then string between canes might be enough. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    I have a patch of sweet corn and pumpkins back where our lurcher has access.. I just use last years pruned twiggy branches from the branch pile stuck into the soil around the edges of the bed as a temporary fence.  Once the corn is up a foot, I just throw the branches back onto the pile again.  Against the dark soil, you really don't even notice them from the house.  
    I think a lot depends on your dog.. if it's a digger or not.  Otherwise, chicken wire with some canes works well.  You'll find other uses for them later.. pea fence, cucumber trellis, fixing a hole under the fence, etc.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Have a border collie, who is a digger, just planted snowdrops, lilly of the vally, they are covered with upturned metal hanging baskets, the beds and veg to deter the pussies as well, I bought a roll of green chicken wire very reasonable price in Aldi.  Have tried twigs, canes etc, she manages to push them to one side, to set about her mission, have we still got the pets post on here, cant navigate my way these days on here!