Forum home The potting shed

What to do with Sweet pea seedlings

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
I have some lovely healthy looking sweet pea seedlings that are developing a strong root system. I am very proud of this success but am due to go away over Easter and am not sure what to do with my seedlings so they don't get munched by slugs and snails or die from being too hot, too cold, too dry or too wet! What a dilemma!! Any advice on what I should do with them so they will stay alive while I'm away??? 🌱

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,749
    Where are they, how long are you away for?   Where are you in the world, country?That will make a difference.  I have mine under a potting bench, so they dont get waterlogged and rot, in a tray, you could water them once, before you go, on a tray that will retain some water. as long as they are a resonable size they will be OK with cold weather, no slugs have gone near mine/
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,989
    Hi Claire, are they in the ground or in pots?  If in pots, I would make sure they are damp just before you go and put them in a cold room near a window (not one that gets the sun) or in a shed/garage. If you are only away for 4 or 5 days, they should be fine.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    I am in Somerset South west England. They are a decent size and have good root development. But they are only in cardboard tubes! I had some overwintered in the cold frame but they look quite sad and have tiny holes from mini slugs I have been finding. So didn't want to put the spring sown seeds in the cold frame incase the slugs got these too. I think I will put them in my new wooden mini greenhouse on a tray of wet grit and hope for the best?? Maybe I should leave the lid ajar tho? 
    Oh and forgot to say I'm only away for 4 or 5 days max!! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,519
    I always leave the lid of mine ajar just a little bit when I've got plants in there... I just put a piece of wood block under the lid to let a little air in and out. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 306
    Mine have been out since I planted them in October, they are now in where they're to flower, some in the ground and some in a planter and they seem perfectly happy. The ones in the ground are tucked in at the base of a Montana and have grown about 6 inches since I put them in earlier this week.    
  • SussexsunSussexsun Posts: 1,444
    I am going to plant out my October sown sweetpeas today and start a few more seeds in the greenhouse for planting in May.
    To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

Thank you everyone for your great advice. I just  have potted on my spring sown sweet peas this morning so I can leave them out while away. My autumn sown ones look ok and will leave them out too. Hopefully the slugs won't get them!! Usually if I plant them out too early that's what happens so am just waiting for some warmer drier weather before I plant them out. Perhaps end of April or early May depending on the weather.