Coloured fleece?

During the snow and cold I was wondering where all the birds had gone,as I had put plenty of food out,for three days I didn't see one bird! This morning it dawned on me that they were scared by the fleece covered plants! Well no wonder, it looked like a garden full of ghosts! Which then made me wonder if they make fleece in greens and browns??  I had to take off plant labels as they frightened the birds!
Does anyone know if they do it in subdued colours?

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes I normally remove it asap as I hate the look of it.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 635
    You could always double or even triple layer it Freddie’s Dad. I bought 35gms thickness which is twice as thick as standard, it does come in several thickness. I got mine from amazon. It’s pretty strong stuff, should last for years.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,055
    I imagine the rain water still has to get through the fleece in order to water then plants. Even regular white types seem to greatly reduce the watering by rain if you wrap the whole plant.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,876
    Freddies Dad, try looking at builders merchant for non-woven dust sheets. I find, much cheaper than from garden centres. I don't have many plants that needs fleece, but found Poundland's non-woven dust sheets very good. One pack is enough for two medium sized pots. I like to control mine, so if the weather's really cold, it's double layers, but one layer often is more than enough. Just clip them onto the pots with clothing pegs, works for me.

• Jules41Jules41 Posts: 179
    I found the horticultural fleece a bit too thin for some plants. My little succulents needed something more substantial so I used some fleece bed covers and a coat I had free from a catalogue order! I've had to cover and uncover the plants an awful lot (to make sure they had enough light etc) . But it has worked, as they look very happy ☺
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 795
    I have green fleece plant protector bags Cagzo. They come in small, medium and large sizes and they are generous. The large one could cover me twice. They could be laid flat or used as bags. I got mine in Home Bargains.

I bought them to protect the Acers from a late frost and as soon as the leaves emerge I will use them every night until the beginning of June. I lost two to a late frost and I am not going to chance it again.
    SW Scotland
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,716
    Whereabouts do you live Purplerain? I find my acers quite hardy even after a foot or more of snow. They shrug off late frosts as well.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • I'll look at that Purplerain,it looks as if we will need fleece again by next Wednesday!😕
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 795
    I am in SW Scotland Hogweed. The two I lost were in pots and quite young. The pots may have been frosted so I have bubble wrap round them and they are close to the house. I expect they will survive if I can nurse them through this winter, which as Cagzo said, is not over yet ☹️.
    SW Scotland