Fertiliser

Hi all, first post and pretty new to this vegetable growing malarkey having just moved into new house with greenhouse and decent plot last year. Myself & the misses (she's one of these newfangled vegan thingies and I love my greens )are going to try and grow a large array of home grown veg this summer (3xtoms/leeks/carrots/aubergines/chillies/kale/chard/runners/peas/cucumbers/courgettes/variety salad leaves and few other bits) and are trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. Just wondered whether a 'nettle soup' fertilizer could be used on all of these vegetables or do some not like it? Should we invest in other sorts of fertilisers for the different varieties of veg. Really looking forward to getting stuck in, brilliant to see the seedlings beginning to come through already  Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

• Ana Blazoniene 233Ana Blazoniene 233 Ireland Posts: 3
    hi, not an expert but nettle tea is very rich nitrogen (N) fertilizer and very good soil conditioner, so it will benefit most plants in the beginning of season as it encourages green mass to grow (strong stems and leaves), but when it comes to flowering and fruiting you will need Potassium (K) especially for tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, if you want to go organic use comfrey tea or any commercial tomato food, also wood ash lightly scattered around your plants will provide some potassium Plants also benefit greatly from seaweed tonic, as it helps them to stay healthy Hope that helps 

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow - Audrey Hepburn
  • Thankyou Ana, that's very helpful. I live very close to the Essex coastline so seaweed not a problem and it looks as I can buy and cultivate comfrey seeds very easily. Now to source an incinerator!! Brilliant advice cheers.

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 151
    Sorry to but in! Wondering if tomorite and liquid seaweed can be used for ericaceous plants? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,238
    Yes, particularly when used as a foliar spray.  The plants will take some of the nutrients from these via the roots too, but you should still use ericaceous plant feed in addition as this will provide Iron (which is vital for chlorophyll production) in a form that can be taken up in acid soil.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 151
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Bob! Went to diy store today to buy some fertilisers and stood their for ages trying to decide which ones to get amongst the multitude of different stock and brands :o