Forum home The potting shed

Newbie Garden Photos II

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,821
This is the bones of my new Hot Border to be, built around two existing olive trees at the foot of a walled terrace. The Virburnum on the next terrace (I think that’s what it is) was also there. There is a hedge of orange pyracantha above that. Last summer I planted David Austin roses: just visible, a climbing orange Warm Welcome at the end on a hazel wigwam, red LD Braithwaite, red Darcy Bussell, a trio of Munstead Wood, which is more deep reddish pink so far and a Lady of Shallott that has been disappointingly creamy peach to date. Plus Berberis orange and red rockets. This photo was taken a couple of days ago so all a bit bare just now. I also planted some orange and purple tulips end of last October. I think this was too early here, they are coming up a bit deformed and red-tinged. I fear it might be fire blight. The rest of the spaces are destined for perennials - mainly orange plus purple salvias and agastaches for contrast. I am so getting obsessed with my new hobby!

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Your plans sound lovely @Nollie, and such an exciting colour scheme. I love the oranges/reds with a splash of purple.
    Looking forward to seeing more photo's as the new border develops.

Cute dog 😊 and fab furniture 👍
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,911
    Just to say, regarding your roses 'Munstead Wood' and 'Lady of Shalott', that in warmer weather, or warm climate areas with hot summers [like yours?], these roses will bloom a lighter shade.   In shadier sites and cooler weather they produce the more typical blooms you see in photos.  Even here in England, they will bloom lighter during hot weather in July/August, but be their darkest in May/June, or any time that's cooler..
    Don't give up on them, these are wonderful roses, and you will also find they get better with age.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    edited March 2018
    Salvias & Agastache are firm favourites of mine, it's going to look delightful. I agree, roses get better with time and can take a while to 'settle in', just stay on top of clearing up diseased black spot leaves and ensure ventilation. Also remember to feed and mulch in Spring. I have grown Darcy B. before too.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,821
    Many thanks for the advice and encouragement, I hope I can deliver! The roses have actually performed amazingly well so far in my warm climate, pumping out so many blooms last year I thought they were going to expire. LDB, Warm Welcome and Darcy colours true and strong, MW is still vibrant enough a colour to earn its place in a hot border and fingers crossed Lady S does better this year - creamy peach kind of doesn’t fit there but perhaps you won’t notice so much once everything else is in. Old leaves now painstakingly removed, Mark as per your previous advice, structure opened up, fed and mulched! First time rose grower, but I am fussing and cosseting over my babies! Kitty, the black curly monster is a Spanish Water Dog, she loves gardening, especially ‘helping’ with the weeding.