Newbie Garden Photos

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,595
Hello,

I love nosing around other folks gardens (Perki posted me some lovely ones that were so inspiring) so here is my very first garden project in my new house, completed last summer. It’s a sort of Mediterranean cottage border. It’s mostly herbs, an unnamed local salvia and a pelargonium cross that is more frothy than the usual bobble heads. There are a few Gaura whirling butterflies, verbena bonariensis that arn’t really showing yet and a rogue dahlia - normally banned in this household by OH. Given it was my first real attempt at gardening I was quite chuffed.

Sadly I had to rip out and burn all the salvias. I had unwittingly introduced woolly aphid from a potted tangerine tree and it rampaged through them. Needless to say the tangerine tree, which was a gift and struggling in my northern mountain climate anyway, has had to go too. I did try ridding tree and salvias of the woolly menace but it proved too big an infestation. Oh well, having hopefully got rid of the menace I can try putting more salvias back again this year. Will post some of this year’s project in progress shortly...

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,438
    Very pretty and colourful , I can see a Dahlia  :) did the OH notice ? Shame about your salvia, I didn't know woolly aphids went for them. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 1,822
    Very pretty and colourful.  I like the edging you've used as well...  
    Of course if it was mine, I'd just have to grow a rose up that nice wall, but you needn't worry about that...
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,595
    Thanks, ah yes, Dove, dahlia-gate, I remember it well! I would love a climbing rose there too, but the only ground deep enough is at the end where I have already planted a wisteria. The railway sleeper edging was to raise the bed enough to plant, it’s very rocky underneath, also the reason for troughs and pots at the back as well as not raising the soil against the stone wall as it’s quite porous.
  • Looks beautiful 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 52,318
    Nollie said:
    Thanks, ah yes, Dove, dahlia-gate, I remember it well! 
    Now I'm totally confuddled ... have I said something?  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,595
    Oops, sorry, Dove, that was Perki that picked up on the Dahlia - OH’s pet hate. However, for all you Dahlia lovers out there, I have sneaked a Bishop of Llandalf in my other hot border   :)
  • musmanali2020musmanali2020 PakistanPosts: 29
    Hi there how are you. Welcome to the forum.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,508
    All looks beautiful Nollie 😍