Forum home Fruit & veg

Baby Toms

• Hi all making a right mess of this thread soz . just want to know the best way to treat my babies , on the window sill in full sun all day (ystdy was very hot ) or limit the sun/heat they get ? how do I stop them getting leggy cos it will be a while before they go out to play . Thx
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881
    They need lots of light so keep them on the windowsill ... cover a sheet of cardboard with foil (shiny side out) and put it along the back of the seedlings to reflect the sunlight back at the seedlings furthest from the window ... also turn them around every day.  

Do you have a greenhouse or will you be growing them outside?  I only ask because I grow mine outside and have found it best not to start them off until the second/third week in April, otherwise they get too leggy indoors waiting for the warmer weather so they can go outside.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• My toms (Alicante and Gardeners Delight) have just stuck their heads above the compost. Last year I put them on the sunny window sill for a couple of weeks before moving them to a very draughty and leaky cold frame I made, though it was very warm this time last year. I try to remember as Dove says to rotate them 90 degrees each day. I have a habit of fretting that everything I grow looks too leggy in the beginning, but they generally fill out. Re your earlier post's question, I used bog standard compost and they turned out OK. The only other thing to be aware of is that although this year seems terribly cold compared to last, there was a frost on April 30th last year here, and wiped out a lot of our allotmenteers' young plants, so don't plant outside too soon!
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • Thx . Looking at my history on here and it seems i've asked the same question for the past 4 yrs ( Doh !) but i think this is the latest I've ever planted , think i'll plant some more in a month just in case . Dove- yes they will be going outside in tubs , i'm in s.yorks . In my past threads my main question was " when will I ever learn" lol  eh oh

p.s done the foil thing thx

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,663
    Do as Dove has mentioned, unfortunately  I cant use foil cause it blocks light from other seedling behind so I just keep turning them around. When you plant them on into bigger pots are plant them out plant them deeper nearly right upto the first leaves, they root really well along the stem and it will help anchor them better. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,011
    Turn them regularly at least every day, so they dont get bending or leggy, mine are in a north facing window cill about the same size as yours, but because its a bungalow and not over looked it has a lot of light. I will soon, pot on, then they will go in either the conservatory or heated greenhouse, then unheated in May, but you dont need all these things, you can gradually start keeping them cooler, as the spring progresses.